MS4 and considering psych

Started by adismo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

adismo

covered in moon dust
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How far along in your medschool training did you start considering psychiatry.

I did one MS3 gero-psych rotation in a lock-down unit and hated it primarily for the scutmonstrosity that it was; the attending was a prick too.

I'm reconsidering psych because I have character qualities that focus on the patient as a whole person and I have interest in psycho/bio/social aspects of patient care.

Anyone go into psych after doing a non-psych internship?



Appreciated,

A
 
and how much do psychiatrists REALLY make?? im serious. 😀
 
If you do prelim medicine or a transitional internship, you can definitely start psych as a pgy2. try to do neuro as an elective, because programs require 2(?) months of it. it doesn't sound like you had a very good experience in your psych rotation, though. you really should do at least 1 fourth year psych rotation to make certain you like it.