MS4 applying to pediatrics... tips on what programs would be feasible for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purva13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 4th year MD student on the east coast applying to pediatrics. Originally from Southern CA (SD) and would love to be back in the area but am not opposed to NorCal or other bigger cities like NYC, DC, Houston. I am fluent in Spanish and have done considerable work at the U.S. Mexico border over my free summer with one publication in the works.
STEP 1: 228 (kind of low I know)
STEP 2: 252
Lot of volunteer hours with local refugee orgs in my city and 2 research experiences (one pub). I am fluent in Spanish and want programs that allow me to work in these settings with social justice advocacy with a community and academic focus.
All the UC's, Children's Oakland, Montefiore, Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Baylor, Kaiser, Children's National, Georgetown are all on my list. Anything else i should consider while I am making my list? I don't want to be in a smaller city because I did that for medical school and ready to be in a bigger metropolitan area.

Members don't see this ad.

Other relatively big cities not in Cal but with good pediatrics programs (that I can think of w/o thinking too hard):
Dallas - UTSW/Children's Med Center
Denver - Colorado Children's
Seattle Children's
Phoenix Children's
Northwestern and U of Chicago
Not sure about your cut-off for big cities but I would also consider Nationwide Children's and Cincinnati Children's just based on the quality of their programs.

Other relatively big cities not in Cal but with good pediatrics programs (that I can think of w/o thinking too hard):
Dallas - UTSW/Children's Med Center
Denver - Colorado Children's
Seattle Children's
Phoenix Children's
Northwestern and U of Chicago
Not sure about your cut-off for big cities but I would also consider Nationwide Children's and Cincinnati Children's just based on the quality of their programs.
Thank you! I am not looking to live in the Midwest/ i have no connections there so will probably not apply there.