MS4 - help ranking IM residencies - interested in cards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cookiefiend

Reaction score
I'm an M4 from a middle tier med school. I interviewed everywhere, don't really have a preference for location. Especially interested in advanced heart failure (bc of my past job, past research life, mentors in the field). Would love to hear what factors to look at (transplant volume etc.) when making rank list. If you're trying to head into this same field, would also appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Depends on where you want to go for fellowship, NYU probably will open a lot of doors for the NYC city programs but u will likely have to do a chief year to stay at NYU for fellowship. Plus how much of a transplant volume matters to a medicine resident from a clinical perspective? I guess u get more explore to research in the field but other than that I wouldn’t weight it that highly

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on where you want to go for fellowship, NYU probably will open a lot of doors for the NYC city programs but u will likely have to do a chief year to stay at NYU for fellowship. Plus how much of a transplant volume matters to a medicine resident from a clinical perspective? I guess u get more explore to research in the field but other than that I wouldn’t weight it that highly
At this point, I have incentives to stay on the east coast and west coast, so location isn't too important.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
it's nice that IM applicants who know they want to apply to subspecialty after residency still put stock into the sort of clinical IM training and cards exposure they receive as IM residents when weighing programs. imo, however, for a future cards applicant residency program prestige would still trounce one applicant over another coming from a less prestigious program, even if the applicant from the lesser known program has seen/done more clinically and received better clinical training.

don't take this the wrong way; wherever you go as a resident you still have to kick ass, put in the work, be productive from a research standpoint, and develop good relationships and connections. however, a prestigious program of good repute that likely has very active research faculty will start you off with a leg up compared to the rest of the field. it may be an unspoken secret but you've probably figured out that in our profession, background and pedigree plays a huge role in the selection process at every level.

if you want to match into a field as competitive as cardiology, my advice to you would be to try to go to the residency program with the 'best name brand'/'best reputation'/'highest tier and prestige' that you can get into, work hard, and hope for the best.

Reactions: 1 user
Looks good though not sure why transplant volume matters for IM training, unless you're talking about for research interests, in which case having at least an HF attending may be good enough.

Reactions: 2 users