MS4 Volunteering Overseas Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Detective SnowBucket

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Looking at my M4 schedule and it looks like I can get ~4 weeks off and I'd like to go do some actual medical volunteering during that time. All the programs I can find look like voluntourism for pre-meds to put on their CV. I will have some real medical skills as an M4 and hope to really support a medical team. Do you know any legit medical volunteering orgs? I don't have a huge preference for country but I do speak 4 languages (not Spanish) so going to a country that speaks one of those would be a plus.

Members don't see this ad.

Does your school not have any international rotations you can do? That's probably a good place to start.

Agree with above--work with your school on this rather than trying to make something on your own. In addition to the massive amount of work you may save yourself, they may also have insight into obstacles that you wouldn't consider such as going places where your health insurance and malpractice insurance will remain active.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with above--work with your school on this rather than trying to make something on your own. In addition to the massive amount of work you may save yourself, they may also have insight into obstacles that you wouldn't consider such as going places where your health insurance and malpractice insurance will remain active.
Not to mention the school may offer some funding for travel, housing, etc instead of OP paying out of pocket!

Reactions: 1 users
Not to mention the school may offer some funding for travel, housing, etc instead of OP paying out of pocket!
That's the other thing, all the orgs I've found look kinda scammy when they ask for $1500+ for 4 weeks for 'placement' and 'processing'

Talk to faculty at your school who volunteer overseas!

Reactions: 1 user