MS4 year in preparation for IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewYorkDoctors

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello (pardon for posting so rapidly in sequence)

I would like to ask about what I should be doing in my fourth year in order to prepare to be an IM intern.

After my sub-Is finish, I will have a lot of cake electives remaining and i would like to hone my skills and learn new knowledge to ensure I don't end up as that "intern who knows nothing."

Personally, I am thinking of studying for Step 3 and simulating CCS cases..
Being able to formulate wide DDx for various CC/HPI
Ensuring I know how to read most XR and CTs
Ensuring I become proficient at EKGs to the point I can recite criteria and can spot the most subtle of rhythm disturbances
Reading up, viewing videos, and practicing (if there is a dummy for it) of central lines, arterial lines, ABGs, IV insertion
Getting proficient at ventilators.

Of course, just preparing is no substitute for actually doing it in residency...

But I would hate for my fourth year to indeed be the "most expensive vacation" of my life

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to ask about what I should be doing in my fourth year in order to prepare to be an IM intern.

After my sub-Is finish, I will have a lot of cake electives remaining and i would like to hone my skills and learn new knowledge to ensure I don't end up as that "intern who knows nothing."

Ensuring I become proficient at EKGs to the point I can recite criteria and can spot the most subtle of rhythm disturbances
Reading up, viewing videos, and practicing (if there is a dummy for it) of central lines, arterial lines, ABGs, IV insertion

Of course, just preparing is no substitute for actually doing it in residency...

But I would hate for my fourth year to indeed be the "most expensive vacation" of my life

Any thoughts?

Thanks

beers.jpg

and

girls-night-out-models2.jpg

lots of this

video-games-healthy.jpeg

and this

sleeping-male-bed-overnight-11052011-medium_new.jpg

You are welcome.

No need to thank me.

Members don't see this ad :)
com'on man don't try to make the rest of us look bad. We're all supposed to look lost and incompetent together. And agree to what jdh said.

Lol, I hope I'm able to accomplish this stuff by the end of residency...

Haha point taken

Perhaps my insecurities arose from the fact every resident I've come across seems so highly competent that I feel utterly dwarfed

Oh well with time...

Haha point taken

Perhaps my insecurities arose from the fact every resident I've come across seems so highly competent that I feel utterly dwarfed

Oh well with time...

Dude.

4th year is medical school's way of saying, "Hey, no hard feelings for those first three years"

Everyone shows up to internship as a nOOb. Just accept it.

Enjoy 4th year.

Dude.

4th year is medical school's way of saying, "Hey, no hard feelings for those first three years"

Everyone shows up to internship as a nOOb. Just accept it.

Enjoy 4th year.

This may in fact be the most perfect description of M4 ever.

I would add that it also gives you time to take a few yoga classes, stretch and prepare to get bent over for the next 1-7 years.

Last edited:
oh okay.

I can already reach my toes without much strain on my back...

I may just have a twinge of inferiority complex because my medical school only ever focused on being able to present a H&P and dealing with diagnostics...

while I see these WCMC students in the M-ICU understanding every aspect of the ventilator... makes me go :scared:

If I had a choice between picking up trash in a park barefoot and being a medical student or resident in internal medicine for 3 years, I'd much rather pick up trash barefoot. The way Internal medicine is conducted in teaching hospitals is terrible, to the point of jeopardizing the care of patients. Sorry you have to go that route.

If I had a choice between picking up trash in a park barefoot and being a medical student or resident in internal medicine for 3 years, I'd much rather pick up trash barefoot. The way Internal medicine is conducted in teaching hospitals is terrible, to the point of jeopardizing the care of patients. Sorry you have to go that route.

Why are you being a douchebag troll?

I would try to find some money and travel. Memories of pounding beer at exotic distant places will keep you sane on your 80 hour MICU rotations.

After my sub-Is finish, I will have a lot of cake electives remaining and i would like to hone my skills and learn new knowledge to ensure I don't end up as that "intern who knows nothing."...

As a current intern, let me assure you that the "intern who knows nothing" is everyone. Assuming you've made it this far and end up matching, you'll be fine. Just listen to the more experienced folks with whom you work (including nurses, JARs, etc) and you'll manage not to kill your patients and may even do some good.

If, however, you're dead set on doing everything you can to prepare, then I would suggest you might swap out one of those cake electives and do something like a MICU or CCU rotation. Your goal would be to (1) learn sepsis guidelines, (2) learn a little something about ventilators/NIPPV and (3) maybe work in a few procedures (ABGs, central lines, etc). Other than that you're not going to gain much from the books. When your first overnight comes, you'll still be a little worried, but you (like the millions who have gone before you) will survive.

RM