1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

MSAR? Is it needed or worth it?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by RadMD1day, Apr 15, 2007.

1. RadMD1day

RadMD1day Cat Scan
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am wondering, I have seen several posts about the MSAR. Does anyone have this edition? Is it worth it?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. montessori2md

montessori2md Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    depends on how many schools you're applying to and how up to date their websites are. If you're applying to more than 6 schools, it's worth it as a reference on their admissions requirements. 5 schools or less, you could probably get by with the websites and the phone. MSAR has a breakdown of who gets admitted based on MCAT, GPA, age, major, etc, so it's a nice way to give yourself a reality check on how close you are to the average (not that I'm in any way a fan of the average).:p

4. Doula-2-OB

Doula-2-OB Going in from the outside
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I bought the current MSAR and even though med school is probably 4 years away for me it still is helpful to see what schools are looking for. I am glad I bought it. :)

5. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

There may be an MSAR in your school library, or the potential of requesting an inter-library loan of one through the librarian. You could photocopy the pages you are interested in. It is an invaluable resource.

6. postbacker

postbacker Membership Revoked
    Removed

Non-Student
    The MSAR will pay for itself if you avoid applying to even one school for which you do not have the proper pre-reqs (say calculus or bio-chem)...

7. Anastasis

Anastasis caffeinated for safety
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yes. It's not very expensive (most likely the LEAST expensive part of this process) and very very worth it :thumbup:

8. Halligan

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Where are you guys finding the MSAR? Everywhere I go it is sold out....

9. Captain Fantastic

Physician 10+ Year Member

Sit tight for a couple weeks. The new one ('08'-09) will be here soon.

10. GeorgeFoster

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Definitely sit tight, the next years edition publication is imminent. In fact, the AAMC says it's sold of 2007-2008 edition but You might even be able to pre-order it from aamc.org. Regardless, thats probably the best place to buy it.

Is it necessary? It depends on how much of a perfectionist you are. You can gleam a lot of information online (the AAMC has a list of admissions pages here) and the MSAR is frustrating in that it lives up to its name, it supplies really only admissions requirements and dates which will be a minor part of selecting a school. Its information on the last matriculating class for each school is pretty edifying, however. For instance, I learned its much easier to get into Ohio State as a nonresident applicant than U Michigan (statistically speaking, that is).

For me, Every city library I've ever been inside has an MSAR and probably MCAT books as well. As miserly as it sounds, I've found that sufficient enough for me to save over $150 dollars so far.

11. Halligan

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks!

I'll go check it out at the library if I have to. It's no biggy, I'd just like to get my hands on one.

12. Dr.Detroit

Dr.Detroit Boogie Member
    Physician 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If so, do what s/he says. If you're applying to more than a handful of schools, get it. It's worth it.

13. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Moving to Pre-Allopathic as this topic is not specific to non-traditional students.

14. PRIMER

PRIMER God's Soldier
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't think its absolutely necessary. There are other publications, and the internet.

15. CTtarheel

CTtarheel Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I guarantee there's a copy in your school's library, and I guarantee your pre-med advisor has one you can borrow. There's probably also another one in career services.

You don't need to buy it unless you just want to waste time obsessing over schools instead of doing the work to actually get into them.

16. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It's definitely worth consulting. Now whether you need to get your own copy or not is up to you, but as pointed out above, at $25 it's probably the cheapest part of this process and one of the most valuable tools you'll come across.

17. Dr.Detroit

Dr.Detroit Boogie Member
    Physician 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    True. But it's better IMO than any other publication and more convenient than searching the internet.

I guess I should have said: If spending that $25 on an MSAR means you won't be able to buy beer for a couple weeks, then no. It's not worth it. Go to the library.

18. Dookter

Dookter Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I think I was already accepted to a medical school before I had even heard of this book. In my opinion you can live without it. Of course, I have never even seen one, so what do I know...

19. DynMD

DynMD Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am applying this summer. I already have a '07-'08 one, do you think the '08-'09 one will be much different?

20. Medinsane

Medinsane Music in Asian Form
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I found it VERY useful when narrowing down which medical school to apply to. I basically made an Excel sheet and had all the MCAT, GPA, Tuition, State, etc for each school I was interested in. I'm sure you can find all this information on the net but it was just nice to have a easy, trustful resource to use. :thumbup:

21. pennybridge

pennybridge Membership Revoked
    Removed

what's an MSAR?

22. Dr.Detroit

Dr.Detroit Boogie Member
    Physician 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The person that just started a thread called, "Any recent changes in CALCULUS requirements?" would already have an answer if they were able to consult an MSAR (Medical School Admissions Requirements, published annually by The Man himself)

23. holycow

holycow Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am wondering the same thing!

24. silverlining1

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    What about the US News Premium Online Edition? I am definitely planning to buy the MSAR, but does the US News thing have any additional information that is worth paying for?

25. mikkey

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey
    I bought both books, cause I thought they were different, and they aren't, except for the classification (rankings) of US News which you can get off the internet. Just get the MSAR. It's got way more useful info than the US news one.