MSAR School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted600623

I just recently bought a subscription for the MSAR and am compiling a list of school to apply to. I will be moving to Texas with my family during my gap year and will subsequently be applying to those schools once I gain residency. However, I'm trying to be effective in applying to schools that I am at least competitive with their acceptees stats. My stats will be cGPA 3.7 and sGPA 3.5 rounded. No MCAT yet. So when I'm looking at schools and comparing my GPA, should I be looking only at schools where my GPA is right at or right below their median GPA?

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I would apply to all Texas schools regardless of whether your GPA is at or below their median since they take good care of Texas residents. Also the primary is 140$ for all Texas schools, the secondaries are an additional cost, but they are relatively inexpensive compared to OOS schools. As for out of state schools, I'm not sure since I only applied in-state, but my guess would be that as long as your GPA is in range (so even if it is slightly below) you should apply. The MCAT is the same. Apply to schools in which your MCAT is in range with the 10th percentile.

@Cookie04 Thanks for the advice! By in range, do you mean within their 10th-90th percentile range for accepted students?

Members don't see this ad :)
@Cookie04 Thanks for the advice! By in range, do you mean within their 10th-90th percentile range for accepted students?
Yes, but even if your MCAT or GPA is slightly below their 10th percentile you should still apply. The percentiles fluctuate every year for medical schools. For example, UTSW's 10th percentile for MCAT is a 31, but I still received an interview with a 29.

Good to know! Thank you.

Ehh I wouldn't recommend many schools where your MCAT is below the 10th percentile. The SDN rule of not going really focusing on schools your stats are below the 10th percentile is a good one. Those who get II's below 10th percentile often have significant hooks like URM status etc(and it's definitely possible the person who told you they got a II with a 29 at UTSW has one of those hooks).

Focus on doing well on your MCAT. Anything 508+ and I would focus on all Texas schools but Baylor and UTSW. If you really do well on the MCAT(think 515+) I think all Texas schools can be in play. If you get one of those top scores 517+ esque, then it might be worthwhile to take a stab at a couple top 20 schools even if your sGPA is below the 10th percentile by a hair(this is a case where it can sometimes be worthwhile to apply even if you are a bit below the 10th percentile). What I would not do is apply to lower tier schools OOS. Texas residents as gyngyn will often tell you don't really get much consideration since it is so rare they actually ever matriculate if accepted. If you apply OOS, I would only do so to bigger names and obviously you need a top MCAT score for that.

Like I said, I don't know much about OOS schools but I would just apply to all Texas schools anyway. Baylor is extra money because it's through AMCAS so you can asses that later, but regardless of URM status or not you would have a good chance at any of Texas schools with your grades and if you have a decent MCAT because they are required to accept 90% in state. I know a couple of ORM's who received interviews at UTSW and UTH as well with a 29 and a 30 MCAT score (I'm not sure what the equivalent is for the new MCAT though). And why not apply to UTSW? It doesn't cost any extra money and the secondary is free.

Last edited:
My realistic goal is to score around 515-520 based on my preparation. I just wasn't sure about my science gpa because it's not the best due to having high Bs which register as a 3.0 because of my schools grading system. My top is likely A&M or the new TCU med school when that opens. But I really appreciate all the advice!