Status
Not open for further replies.

sunshine02

7+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Is there a free online version of this or is it only available in book form and you have to buy it? If so, where can you buy the MSAR, and is any recent edition (2010-2013) ok or is it strongly recommended that you only get the most recent version?

Reactions: chancemd

turayza

5+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Thanks! There are some selling on other websites as well that are cheaper but they are from earlier years (2010-2012). Is that ok to use as well or would you recommend only looking at the most recently updated MSAR?
Hmm I don't know that there is a huge difference over the past few years, so I can't really advise on that. If you have friends who are interested in medical school, I'd suggest pitching in together for the newest version.

Fedxup

5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Is there a free online version of this or is it only available in book form and you have to buy it? If so, where can you buy the MSAR, and is any recent edition (2010-2013) ok or is it strongly recommended that you only get the most recent version?
I say the newer the better. You just don't know if the school has changed its requirements (ex. Biochem req. which is popular now IMO).

Reactions: chancemd
OP
sunshine02

sunshine02

7+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I say the newer the better. You just don't know if the school has changed its requirements (ex. Biochem req. which is popular now IMO).
Thanks! I looked at the website and I'm confused about one thing: is the MSAR: Getting Started 2013 the same as the MSAR? MSARs from other years do not have the part "Getting Started" in their titles.

Also, is it better to get the online subscription? And would you say the MSAR is more useful before you are applying (like during freshman-sophomore years)? If things change from year to year, then wouldn't it be better to look at the MSAR during junior year before you apply instead of having to buy a new version every year?

Thanks for clearing up all the confusion I have regarding this! Really appreciate it.

Fedxup

5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2013
Status
Medical Student
There are two versions available MSAR getting started and MSAR Online both for 2013. Don't quote me on this but I think MSAR online is more just interactive and not so much in the book format. MSAR Getting started (ebook) might be just like any other book that is online(ex. textbooks).
Heres a preview of the MSAR 2013 https://services.aamc.org/30/msar/home

That is what I have. I think online is better. Just because it's easier to type in the school and check rather than flip through pages. It is the most useful when you are in your application year. It can't hurt to take a look at it earlier. If you are just looking for what course a single school requires I'm sure you can just check their websites. When you are a junior you want to see the number of application, how many interviews, how many students matriculates, and course work requirements it is much more useful.

**ignore bad grammar, spelling, and syntax and everything else, I just woke lol

Status
Not open for further replies.