MSF part time as a surgeon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AsianPersuasion

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Do you folks know or have any experiences regarding this? I know it's probably difficult to do it compared to say being an ED physician, because who's going to do my follow-up etc. But I was wondering if it's even possible at all to do MSF work part-time as a surgeon? Say, six months out of the year?

Members don't see this ad.

There are two recent threads on this here and here. Please use the search function if possible.

Bottom line: Depends on your practice and contract, as well as the type of trips. And its going to have to be something you feel very strongly about, because depending on the type/length of trips you may have to sacrifice things in your practice to make it work. If you're talking about 1-2 week trips, it's going to essentially be no different than taking your vacation time. If it's something that requires 3 months at a time, it will be more involved to make it work.

And to answer your other question, yes, there was an attending at NYU that did trips with MSF. Not sure how she worked the details into her contract, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
There are two recent threads on this here and here. Please use the search function if possible.

Bottom line: Depends on your practice and contract, as well as the type of trips. And its going to have to be something you feel very strongly about, because depending on the type/length of trips you may have to sacrifice things in your practice to make it work. If you're talking about 1-2 week trips, it's going to essentially be no different than taking your vacation time. If it's something that requires 3 months at a time, it will be more involved to make it work.

And to answer your other question, yes, there was an attending at NYU that did trips with MSF. Not sure how she worked the details into her contract, though.
Is it just me or are those links randomly ****ed up? Or is it like a joke I dont get?

Reactions: 1 users