MSII interested in derm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taramoo99

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am a second year US medical student and I am very interested in dermatology. I realize that this field is hard to get a residency in. I have gotten all A's and 1 B in my classes and honors in 3/6 classes. I already know about AOA and that it is important to do well on my step 1 exam. I have also just recently started to shadow in our derm clinic once a week. I am looking for other ways to make me a strong applicant and what is most important to build in an application.

How important is research and how can I go from not knowing how to do it to getting involved? This is an area that I feel weaker in but want to change that before it becomes too late. Do you think it is completely necessary to match?

thanks for your help

Members don't see this ad.

While no single factor is likely to make or break your application, it seems that you're headed in the right direction.
I'd advise to do away rotations at a major academic derm dept., as strong LoR's can be extremely helpful. Also, research experience is generally a strong plus. Try to go to your derm chair and express an interest to get involved in a project, but remember that your goal is not only to participate in a project, but to get publishing experience. Best of course if it's a peer-reviewed journal, but otherwise posters or oral presentations at scientific meetings.

If you do that, and continue your current academic track, I'd say you'll have a good shot at landing a residency.