MSIV Elective: Peds Pulmonary vs. NICU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

medready2005

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Which would you choose if you had to pick one and why??

Thanks in the advance!!
 
depends, i suppose, on how busy each service typically is. If peds pulm is a rotation known for good pathology or great teaching it may be worthwhile, however seeing the same types of patients over 4 weeks may be less worthwhile.

I would argue that doing a NICU would be worthwhile. Stepping into the NICU for the first time during intern year isnt my idea of fun, however if you are anything like me and that NICU rotation is toward the end of your 4th year (read: senioritis) you may want to rethink your choice during the warmer days when the rest of your classmates have stopped caring. My NICU was a good chance to see a wide pathology (IVH, Nec, PHtn, DiGeorge syndrome) & carry complex patients, and the sense that if i can do an LP or ABG on a 1000g baby, i can pretty much do it on anybody. Typically the nurses and NPs on my service were very strong, very experienced and excellent resources and the residents although busy, taught on the go. I also learned about basic management of preterm infants (TPN, bili, fluids) and the resuscitation algorithm after delivery

I have heard that doing NICU to prepare you for residency is like hitting your head against a wall to prepare for a head on car collision, but it was a good experience for me...
 
I have heard that doing NICU to prepare you for residency is like hitting your head against a wall to prepare for a head on car collision, but it was a good experience for me...

:laugh: Oh, is that what I'm doing this month?

I'm doing the NICU for my own decision making process however, not to prepare for residency. And even so, I'm jealous of my friends with free time right now.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At first, in the midst of a mid-call fugue I thought you were talking about a career choice and I thought: which would I rather enucleate my own eyes with? A rusty spoon or my own thumbs? About the same as choosing one of those 🙂
But for an MS rotation: I'd do NICU hands down. You'd definitely be able to carry a lot into residency. Peds Pulm I think is the only field in Peds more boring than its adult counterpart: asthma, asthma,asthma,asthma,asthma,asthma,asthma,asthma,asthma,asthma,asthma,asthma,asthma, a little CF, asthma,asthma,asthma,asthma,asthma,asthma,asthma, al little CF, asthma,asthma,asthma,asthma,asthma,asthma,asthma,asthma...
You'll learn a lot of asthma and a little CF, and you'll 😴
 
asthma,asthma,asthma,asthma,asthma,asthma,asthma,asthma,asthma,asthma,asthma,asthma, a little CF, asthma,asthma,asthma,asthma,asthma,asthma,asthma, al little CF, asthma,asthma,asthma,asthma,asthma,asthma,asthma,asthma...
You'll learn a lot of asthma and a little CF, and you'll 😴

Well, not my field, but the ones at our place do all home cardiorespiratory monitoring and home vents, all post-discharge oxygen (a lot), lung transplant pre and post-op management, and a few other things including ALTE work-ups. So, I'm sure their bread and butter is asthma, but at a large pedi hospital you might see a few interesting things.😉

So, perhaps it is worth finding out what type of variety any given pulmonary service has? I'd still go with neo though. 👍
 
Well, not my field, but the ones at our place do all home cardiorespiratory monitoring and home vents, all post-discharge oxygen (a lot), lung transplant pre and post-op management, and a few other things including ALTE work-ups. So, I'm sure their bread and butter is asthma, but at a large pedi hospital you might see a few interesting things.😉

So, perhaps it is worth finding out what type of variety any given pulmonary service has? I'd still go with neo though. 👍

can anyone here recommend a good pediatric pulmonary book? I guess gomella is gold standard for neonatology?😕
 
gomella was a great book for NICU and i doubt other than uptodate, i'd need anything to get through a NICU rotation.

Peds pulm??? i dunno...something on asthma i suppose and some good old fashioned physiology?

please post any other suggestions...
 
gomella was a great book for NICU and i doubt other than uptodate, i'd need anything to get through a NICU rotation.

Peds pulm??? i dunno...something on asthma i suppose and some good old fashioned physiology?

please post any other suggestions...

I spoke to the pedi pulm head and he said there was no single updated text for pedi pulm. He recommended Up-to-date. 🙂
 
Which would you choose if you had to pick one and why??

Thanks in the advance!!

I did NICU as an MSIV, and while it helped me intern year, and I liked it, I think pulm would be better. You will get THREE months of NICU, and ONE of pulm at most. I did endo as an MSIV and I looked like a freaking superstar walking into residency in endo (moreso than NICU), because very few people did endo.

Peds pulm where I am as a resident is a lot of CF and a lot of asthma. BUt the weird cases - Primary ciliary dyskinesia, vocal cord dysfunction, etc. really are useful when you start a general peds residency vs. NICU, which you will get ad nauseum because of the requirements of doing (let me reiterate) THREE months of it in residency.