MSK path q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MudPhud20XX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
An 80 yr old man comes to the physician b/c of bone pain and changes in his facial features. He states that his hats do not fit him anymore and has noticed progressive deformities of his legs and arms and chronic diffuse leg, lower back, and pelvic pain. Lab studies show elevated serum alkaline phosphatase and elevated urine hydroxyproline. X-rays of long bones shows lytic and sclerotic areas. Which of the following is a possible underlying mech for this condition?

A. Generalized reduction in bone mass
B. Genetic def of carbonic anhydrase II
C. Monoclonal proliferation of plasma cells
D. Overproduction of growth hormone
E. Paramyxovirus infection of osteoclasts

Members don't see this ad.

An 80 yr old man comes to the physician b/c of bone pain and changes in his facial features. He states that his hats do not fit him anymore and has noticed progressive deformities of his legs and arms and chronic diffuse leg, lower back, and pelvic pain. Lab studies show elevated serum alkaline phosphatase and elevated urine hydroxyproline. X-rays of long bones shows lytic and sclerotic areas. Which of the following is a possible underlying mech for this condition?

A. Generalized reduction in bone mass
B. Genetic def of carbonic anhydrase II
C. Monoclonal proliferation of plasma cells
D. Overproduction of growth hormone
E. Paramyxovirus infection of osteoclasts
E. Sounds like Paget's. When do you take step? You've been putting in work on here for like a year now.

E. Sounds like Paget's. When do you take step? You've been putting in work on here for like a year now.
Yeah that's the answer. I just didn't know that Paget can be caused by virus. Dang is this in pathoma?
A lot of shxx has happened to me, so I postponed my step 1 to next year. thanks for the input dfib.

Yeah that's the answer. I just didn't know that Paget can be caused by virus. Dang is this in pathoma?
A lot of shxx has happened to me, so I postponed my step 1 to next year. thanks for the input dfib.
I honestly don't remember where I heard it. Possibly from a class lecture sometime. Seems more like a trivia question then anything.

Reactions: 1 user