Step I MSK path question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MudPhud20XX

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
An 85-year-old man has had episodes of pain and decreasing joint motion of wrists, elbows, shoulders, and ankles for weeks at a time during the past 2 years. On physical examination there is no joint deformity or swelling, but there is warmth. A joint aspirate is performed. Which of the following findings is most likely to be seen on microscopic examination of this aspirate?

Based on this vignette, I was debating between gout and pseudo gout. The answer was pseudo gout, why not gout?
 
Just a personal experience but most clinical cases for gout I have come across usually has podagra mention in them. I just checked FA.. it mentions pseudogout occurs more joints esp in the knees. I think the age might be highlighting point as well. Pseudogout >50 (FA)