MSK radiology vs Rheum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sethgeks

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a first year rad resident and I'v choose this specialty because I wanted to keep learning about a lot of things and doing interventional but above all I'm really interested in the specific field of MSK.

Which specialty do you think is best for doing MSK ? I'v seen in my hospital that rheumatologist do their own US procedures and fluoroscopy ...

Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I'm a first year rad resident and I'v choose this specialty because I wanted to keep learning about a lot of things and doing interventional but above all I'm really interested in the specific field of MSK.

Which specialty do you think is best for doing MSK ? I'v seen in my hospital that rheumatologist do their own US procedures and fluoroscopy ...

Thanks a lot.

Orthopedics or PMR. They are the true masters.

Rheum should deal more with inflammatory MSK
diseases but PCP in this country for some reason have different expectations.....

Reactions: 1 user
Rheumatologists do lots of appendicular joint aspiration/injection and soft tissue injections. The main difference between rheum and PM&R would be many physiatrists also have training in epidural/caudal injections, which is not typical in rheumatology. But if you want to do anything that requires more than an 18g needle, ortho would be the way to go.

ETA in many hospitals, MSK/IR does quite a lot of these procedures