MSPE Letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMMS FMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Is it common for programs to wait to offer you an interview until they receive your Dean's Letter? I got an e-reply from University of Florida saying they'd be looking at my application after they received my USMLE transcript (which arrived 2 minutes after they e-mailed me) and my MSPE letter...

Just curious. It seems like November 1 is a long time for them to wait to offer interviews...

Thanks!

Jeff

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure that it depends on the program/applicant. The PD at my home program indicated that he usually holds off on offering interviews until board scores and transcripts are in (but doesn't necessarily wait for LORs and MSPEs, depending on scores/grades). Looking back at last year's interview thread, it seemed that many people got interviews by the end of September. Having said that, it's very early yet (hell, I don't know about you guys, but many programs haven't even downloaded my app yet).

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year I got 95% of my invites prior to the deans letter being sent out. They were almost all between 1.5 and 4 weeks after I applied.

This is what the e-mail said:

"This will acknowledge receipt of your E.R.A.S application for the
anesthesiology residency program at the University of Florida College of
Medicine. We are delighted that you have elected to apply to our program.

We look forward to receiving, through E.R.A.S., USMLE board scores and a
letter from the dean of your medical school (on or after November 1st). Once
these documents are received, we will correspond with you again should we deem
it advisable for you to come to Gainesville for the purpose of a personal
interview."

So... I know most programs offer interviews right away - I don't know if this means my application was shady or if this is standard for this particular program. They received my USMLE transcript a few minutes after they sent me this e-mail so I guess we'll see. My grades were great and I have solid LORs. Very confusing.

So... I know most programs offer interviews right away - I don't know if this means my application was shady or if this is standard for this particular program. They received my USMLE transcript a few minutes after they sent me this e-mail so I guess we'll see. My grades were great and I have solid LORs. Very confusing.

I got the exact same thing. Don't think it says anything about your app. Must just be a thing UF does for all applicants. I just took it to mean that "we are going to wait for all of your stuff to come in before making a real decision, but thanks for spending the extra $25 to apply to our program :D"

At least you didn't get an email like this:

Hello:

We are no longer offering a Preliminary Program in the Department of Medicine at UCLA. We apologize for the confusion this may have created.

I want my money back!!!!