MSSM vs. Pritzker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lawrence

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there--

I would greatly appreciate any input that anyone has on deciding between these two schools.

I have learned a ton being a member of SDN, though I haven't posted a whole lot. Thanks so much for all of the advice so far, and I am hoping to get some more!

L

Members don't see this ad.

I would say U Chicago in a heartbeat. They have a wonderful research program and an unbeatable clinical program. They are both good schools and I am sure you will make the right decision--you really can't go wrong either way.

Thanks!

Do you think there is a significant disadvantage in trying to get a residency on the east coast coming out of U of C vs. MSSM?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lawerence,
Knowing people who have attended both schools, I think you are ok either way. I would put my vote in for Sinai b/c I think you get a little more varied clinical training there. U of C has the reputation of training physicians bound for academics/subspecialities. My friends have told me that sometimes it feels like all they see is advance cases, and not as much basic medicine as they thought they would.

While Sinai has great advanced medicine as well, they also really get you an excellent primary care experience. My good friend actually liked Sinai so much that he stayed there for Residency as well.

The one thing I would keep in mind is the whole NYU/Sinai financial merger-demerger, and how that is affecting clinical care. I know it hasn't affected teaching of students, but I have heard it has caused some headaches all over NYC.

Thanks for your input!

Anyone else care to chime in?

But it all depends on what you want. Pritzker is a stronger research school and tends to be best for those wanting to go into specialties and academia, especially.

Mt Sinai seemed more clinical to me and has a weaker research program.

Location-wise, Sinai has the edge in Manhattan, NYC, but I feel I can always go to NYC for residency and to stay in NYC from Sinai you may not get the match you want.

Matching: both schools match well, and Sinai's match this year was very good. With all being said, Chicago-Pritzker is the stronger academic institution, and there is some edge in reputation/residency matching, BUT is this worth it to you?

Decide what is important to you and then do not look back, Hope that helps.:cool: