MSTP applicant 2011 in need of advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mstp2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I wish to get your advice on my application plan for this upcoming cycle. I am an international applicant with 3.72 GPA from Top10 school, 38S MCAT (14/12/12), 4 years of research in biophysics after college with 2 primary author publications in OK journals (impact factor 5 and 8). Below is the list of schools that I'm planning to add for MSTP

Penn, Hopkins, Columbia, Cornell, Mount Sinai, Einstein, Vanderbilt, Emory, Baylor, UT-Southwestern, Penn State, SUNY Upstate, Dartmouth, and WashU. Northwestern

Given the difficulties of internationals gaining admissions to the program, I'm currently thinking of applying to MD schools as backups, the list is as follows,

Yale, Stanford, Duke, Boston, Case, Vermont.

What do you guys think, will my plan work? I would appreciate any input and especially international mstps who have gone through this process in the past.

Members don't see this ad.

Bump, any input would be greatly appreciated.

I do not know particularly about internationals, but you would be a competitive applicant (even at WashU with their MCAT cutoffs).

So you took time off after college to do research (did this lead to an MS?) Also, did you keep up your medical volunteering, etc ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not know particularly about internationals, but you would be a competitive applicant (even at WashU with their MCAT cutoffs).

So you took time off after college to do research (did this lead to an MS?) Also, did you keep up your medical volunteering, etc ?

I did tech work for 4 years, but my PI was very nice about letting me do research rather than getting bogged down with doing the ordering, etc. I did some light medical volunteering over the 4 years (about 3 hours/week). What's is WashU's MCAT cutoff by the way?

Well, I don't know if they have a specific cutoff, it is just that I heard their current MCAT average was 38.5 or something. Unless the scores have become inflated greatly since I took the exam, they must be selecting.

I did tech work for 4 years, but my PI was very nice about letting me do research rather than getting bogged down with doing the ordering, etc. I did some light medical volunteering over the 4 years (about 3 hours/week). What's is WashU's MCAT cutoff by the way?

There is none. I think the medical school has a reputation as an MCAT hog, but the MSTP's MCAT average is actually below that of the medical schools. If that tells you anything. I had far, far below a 38 and got in.

If there is anything to say, MSTP applications are about an 80% crap shoot. You just can't make sense of most of it. On paper, you sound like you will get in somewhere great. But because of the crap shoot side of things you, or anyone, is not a shoe in anywhere. Apply broadly, you should end up happy.

IMO, at many schools it largely comes down to interviewing. MSTPs seem to be very interview heavy.

There is none. I think the medical school has a reputation as an MCAT hog, but the MSTP's MCAT average is actually below that of the medical schools. If that tells you anything. I had far, far below a 38 and got in.

If there is anything to say, MSTP applications are about an 80% crap shoot. You just can't make sense of most of it. On paper, you sound like you will get in somewhere great. But because of the crap shoot side of things you, or anyone, is not a shoe in anywhere. Apply broadly, you should end up happy.

IMO, at many schools it largely comes down to interviewing. MSTPs seem to be very interview heavy.

Thanks for the insights orrghead, I will definitely apply broadly and see what happens.

I applied with a 4.0 GPA, 35S MCATs and 1 second author publication and I'm finishing up my senior year. (had the leadership, volunteering, medical I'm also international! I was just as afraid of the whole process as you were.. but you seem to have better credentials (4 years will work to your benefit..)

I think you'll do just fine.

I applied to WashU, Baylor, UVA, Emory, Vanderbilt, Columbia, Harvard, Penn State, Sinai, Upenn and Einstein. Didn't apply to other big names because they don't fund international students.

I received interviews form Sinai, Penn State and WashU - which are three schools that seemed to be most accommodating towards international students in general. I met two other int'l students who were invited for interview at those three places only...

I got in all three. Sinai however did not offer funding for the MD portion. I will be accepting WashU of course...

All this to say, you'll be fine. Just get everything in time.Consider non-NIH funded schools like Penn State as back ups. Know that it really is a crap shoot. Don't expect to get offers like your peers who aren't int'l with the same credentials...

Good luck!

I don't really see why you're applying MD/PhD for one pool and MD only for another. Why not just do MD/PhD for all them and say you would also be liked to be considered for the MD only portion if you aren't selected for MD/PhD?

International MD/PhD student here (since technically we're not eligible for MSTP as non-US applicants, though we tend to end up in programs that have both MSTP and non-MSTP funding).

I think your stats are very solid and you'll end up at a great place, especially if your prior PI's LOR will be strong and if you interview well.

I would recommend re-checking the forum search for the most up to date list of programs accepting international applicants as these do change from year to year. I would also contact every MD/PhD program you'll be applying to just to make sure they will still offer funding. You have a good list but with the handicap of non-US status, casting a broad net would not hurt.

As for MD-only (those are presumably programs that consider int'l applicants but not for MD-PhD) it's a reasonable backup, but remember that most of these schools will ask for ~$200K up front... :eek:

Feel free to PM and good luck!

I don't really see why you're applying MD/PhD for one pool and MD only for another. Why not just do MD/PhD for all them and say you would also be liked to be considered for the MD only portion if you aren't selected for MD/PhD?

Some schools will not consider international students for their MSTP. For example, I know Yale does not take int'l for their MSTP but will consider int'l students for their MD programs (and int'l students will receive same level of financial aid as other American MD students). I don't know if it's possible to join the MD/PhD program after you get in to MD first, but I think it's definitely worth it to apply MD only if the school you like doesn't take int'l for their MD/PhD but will consider you for MD only.

You're best shot is aiming for larger programs. On average, I think the total MD-PhD funding for an MSTP is roughly ~20% NIH money and the other ~80% comes from the institution and other sources. The 20% from NIH is not available to international students, but at most places, most of the remaining 80% of their funding is. Of course, some schools will have specific rules that say otherwise.