MSTP in neurosurgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tineybean

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks in advance for any insight given.
I'm an MSTP finishing up my PhD (yes!) in NYC and am interested in neurosurgery (yes, I know about the time commitment, but I'd rather train forever to do what I want than take a short residency on the path to unhappiness). My question is, what do I need to do to get a residency spot (I want to stay in NYC, no less!)? My thesis work is in neuroinflammation, which I'm hoping will get me somewhere (I took the Step in '98, got an 85 and cannot recall the 3-digit score). I was told that for all residencies, clinical rotations grades count heavily too, but being an MSTP, I will be on the wards 18, not 24 months before graduation (and NS is an early match, no less). My backup plan is general surgery (with leanings towards a fellowhip in vascular). Advice? Am I insane or do I have a shot?
Any comments would be greatly appreciated :love: .

Members don't see this ad.

Hey - Im a M4 in a MSTP program rotating through neurosurgery. From this standpoint I would think that you would have a great chance - esp with the PhD in neuroscience. There are lots of MD/PhDs in the field and I think your background would be really sought after.
Just make sure you do all the right things this year - schedule a rotation or two in neurosurgery and make some connections. Then apply to lots of programs. Im sure you will be pleasantly surprised at the response you get.

I think it is an amazing field. If I had anywhere near the energy for it, I would consider it.

Good luck!
Ann

plenty of mudphuds in neurosurgery..my cousin's doc is MD/PhD, with a PhD in anatomy.

I hope to go neurosurg, but without the MD/PhD route...good luck..

Members don't see this ad :)
To those applying for neurosurgery, how many interviews/rejections have you gotten so far?

I have heard back(interviews) from baylor, alabama, loyola, emory,mcg,musc, vandy, unc, wake, george washington, case west, ky.
But still no Duke, Barrow, G'town, yale, nyu.

Oh well....it's still early
See you on the interview trail

Can you Neurosurg bound folks post things such as Competitive Step I score, # of apps/interviews, and # of hours a day a N.surg works? I think N.surg is freaky-amazing but don't know much more. thanks.

Neurosurgery remains fairly competitive. Last year match stats: 85% of US seniors matched. Avg USMLE I for the matched applicant was 230 which has been stable over the past 4 yrs. Avg USMLE I for the unmatched applicant was 215.

What is the impact of age -- do nontrads have a shot?

From my interviews at top places, I think that md/ph.d's seem to have a distinct advantage....esp. if your research is neuroscience related.

With regard to the interview trail, here's my list

Interviewed at:
Penn, MCV, Brigham

Offers at:
Barrow, Maryland, Duke, Columbia, Seattle, Mayo, Florida, Baylor, Southwestern, Oregon, Vanderbilt, UCSF, UCSD, Cleveland Clinic, Case, NYU, Einstein, Loma Linda, UC Davis, GW, Jefferson, Einstein, Emory, Tufts.

Still waiting on:
Mass General, Wash U, G'town (though I know people from the trail who've gotten offers there), Michigan, Hopkins, Miami, Northwestern, USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cornell

Anyone heard from those???