Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering if those in, or accepted to, an MSTP or M.D./Ph.D program could discuss some of their financial backgrounds and decisions during graduate study.
Specifically, I am interested in:
1) Buying a house on an MSTP stipend (city-specific)
2) Base debt from undergraduate studies (how did it affect you)
3) Stock investing/Retirement funds (is it possible to save and live)
How did you do it / have you any recommendations for those going in? The sheer length of MD/Ph.D training puts us at a slight disadvantage living low on the economic ladder for much longer but hopefully that can more than be made up for with the lack of debt and sound finance management
I can't find any sources that address all of these. Does anyone have experience living and investing (specifically, buying a home) on an MD/Ph.D stipend with undergrad debt??
References:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/archive/index.php/t-557346.html (taxed stipend discussion)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=412140 (investing/IRA)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/archive/index.php/t-429000.html (home ownership)
Specifically, I am interested in:
1) Buying a house on an MSTP stipend (city-specific)
2) Base debt from undergraduate studies (how did it affect you)
3) Stock investing/Retirement funds (is it possible to save and live)
How did you do it / have you any recommendations for those going in? The sheer length of MD/Ph.D training puts us at a slight disadvantage living low on the economic ladder for much longer but hopefully that can more than be made up for with the lack of debt and sound finance management
I can't find any sources that address all of these. Does anyone have experience living and investing (specifically, buying a home) on an MD/Ph.D stipend with undergrad debt??
References:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/archive/index.php/t-557346.html (taxed stipend discussion)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=412140 (investing/IRA)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/archive/index.php/t-429000.html (home ownership)