Mstp vs non-mstp slots

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MS1MS2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got accepted into my top MSTP choice and was pretty stoked about it since I was afraid with all the programs becoming so competitive I wasn't going to get in this year. I was reading my acceptance and in the letter they mentioned some scholarship that would be funding my med1/2 education. I couldn't find this scholarship online so I wonder if they made it up (?????) Someone mentioned something about a non-MSTP funding spot and I'm wondering what the difference is and how schools decide which students get what funding :p so...if anyone could help me out on this that'll be great. Thanks :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

So I got accepted into my top MSTP choice and was pretty stoked about it since I was afraid with all the programs becoming so competitive I wasn't going to get in this year. I was reading my acceptance and in the letter they mentioned some scholarship that would be funding my med1/2 education. I couldn't find this scholarship online so I wonder if they made it up (?????) Someone mentioned something about a non-MSTP funding spot and I'm wondering what the difference is and how schools decide which students get what funding :p so...if anyone could help me out on this that'll be great. Thanks :thumbup:

I have heard from a number of schools that it's more an administrative thing than anything else, and has nothing to do with your funding/support/anything. From your end, it will not have any impact.

It's administrative. A relatively small fraction of an MSTP is actually funded by the NIH MSTP grant (definitely less than half). The rest is from the institution and usually private donors. At my school, everyone spends ~2 years (of 7-9 yrs) on the actually MSTP training grant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, absolutely administrative. I've been off and on the MSTP grant 2 or 3 times over the course of the last 8 years.

All MSTPs have to have some other funding--the grant comes nowhere close to covering everything (20% of all program funds from the grant is the number that sticks in my head for some reason).

Although you have no control over it, it's actually better to not be on the MSTP grant. You are limited to only a certain time on training grants, so if you secure your own funding through the NIH (e.g. F30) and you are on the MSTP grant, your eligible fund-able years on that grant are reduced.