MSTP vs. other MD/PHD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whoa It's Peter

It's a 'Tron Special'
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Besides the fact that NIH funds MSTP programs in part, is there any other differences? I hear the non-MST programs are not under as much pressure to graduate their students within 7 or 8 years.

Members don't see this ad.

Whoa It's Peter said:
Besides the fact that NIH funds MSTP programs in part, is there any other differences? I hear the non-MST programs are not under as much pressure to graduate their students within 7 or 8 years.

It may be more difficult to find a good mentor. Many of the schools that do not have NIH-funded dual degree programs happen to be medical schools where research is less emphasized or, to put it bluntly, of lower quality. Of course, there are great mentors at every institution, but if you have specific interests in your PhD project or in your mentor, it will be more difficult to find a suitable mentor and project in a top-quality lab. If you don't have any particular ideas about a project or a mentor in mind, you should be able to find a good one at any institution.

As an MS1 at a non-MSTP (though we applied this year) school I have to say that I have not seen any real differences from friends who are at MSTP schools.

One of the perks, I think, is the ability of the program to stay as small as it wants to. I know that sounds weird, but there is a lot to be said for being "taken care of" by the program administration. Sometimes having that extra funding, or a different source of funding, puts pressure on the program to grow, and while that is often good, it isn't always good.

In terms of time to get out -- i think that even some MSTP's are slow and some MD/PhD's get people out reasonably. I know my program puts a priority on progress and getting out, but that is just here. i think that is helped by the fact that its a relatively small program so they can keep track of us, and our mentors, all the time.

also, i think it depends where the program is. Here in Utah, the university is really the center of science in this region. we are not at all saturated like some other eastern cities. so the lack of MSTP here doesnt really seem to have an effect, because this institution is huge, extremely well funded, scientifically innovative, and very prestigious (we east coasters just dont hear about it, i think).

so, the bottom line is that it seems to depend on where you are if the non-MSTP really makes your life, as the student, different. i would check one thing for sure wherever you go -- find out what happens for YOUR funding if your mentor loses his. most good schools make sure that you stay supported, either through the grad school, the department or something else. but watch your own butt no matter what you hear through the grapevine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a couple of differences between uiuc's MD/PhD from a normal MSTP program are:

Smaller stipend that is dictated by the graduate department (also nor guaranteed funding past the first year but they say everyone gets it anyway)

More freedom in your curriculum... You start in the lab with one year of graduate work, then you can go however you like from there. You can mix in med classes while you take head ones and finish your M1 (and M2 if you like but not recommended) over a couple of years while you do your PhD work

Also they offer PhD's in any head department on campus which nih evidently doesn't like...

I'm sure there are a ton of others but those are the ones off the too of my head right now. Also, I don't know if this applies to other non-MSTP