Mstp

Started by DoctorC++
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DoctorC++

chnjngthwrld1prsn@atyme
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
any non-trads applying for MSTP ? Medical Science Training Program (MD/PhD)?

if so, where?
 
I will try next June (2007) to apply retroactively to the MSTP at UC Davis, since I'm already doing a PhD right now. Who knows if it'll work. Some people have been able to do it at other schools though.
 
DoctorC++ said:
any non-trads applying for MSTP ? Medical Science Training Program (MD/PhD)?

if so, where?

I'd like to apply to an MSTP program. Either UCSF, Yale, Hopkins, Harvard or Stanford...I wouldn't want to go to an MSTP program and do research that I don't like, so if I don't get in to one of those places, I'll be okay with a regular MD program. If I don't get in to a regular MD program, well, I'll try until I do.

Yep, I am an optimist, but you never know.

NeuroResearch
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I applied this year to 14 MSTPs. I was lucky to get 7 interviews and so far one acceptance, one alternate spot, and still waiting to hear from one last school. Applying as a non-trad is tough but if you want to do science and medicine definitely go for it. One piece of advice that I didn't do, look into the average age of matriculants at the schools that you plan to apply to. Some schools I have found are definitely more non-trad friendly, and had I know that, I would have sought those programs out. At other schools the students seemed very young and they tended to challenge me on my age (which is fairly young for a non-trad, 26). Feel free to PM me if you have questions or need advice.