MSU CHM vs WSU SOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school?

• MSU

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • WSU

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

papito22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I was lucky enough to be accepted to both schools and am just trying to get some help making a decision.

This is what I have so far:

Tuition is roughly the same for both schools so money isn't really a factor.

MSU
Pros
-Not too far away from home, but not too close either
-I like the idea of the new curriculum (Clinical experience starting 1st year, more team based learning, less lectures, integrated)
-Dedicated time for board prep
-True P/F curriculum first two years with no internal ranking
-Grand Rapids & the facilities there are much newer and more advanced
-Smaller class sizes

Cons
-New curriculum. As great as the new curriculum sounds, I'm sure it'll have some hiccups.
-Maybe too primary care focused? (I'm still pretty open to all specialties)
-???

WSU
Pros
-The clinical experience would be amazing in Detroit
-Solid reputation with board scores and residency placement
-Lots of connections to be made at the DMC

Cons
-Too close to home
-Lecture based curriculum (personal preference)
-Huge class size (wouldn't get that 1-1 face time with profs/docs as much as at MSU)
-Older facilities
-Detroit is not nearly as nice a place to live as Grand Rapids/East Lansing

Those were all the things I could think of right now. Maybe someone else has thought of something I haven't thought about when comparing the two? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

From the US world and news report and my own experience as a MSU student (I'm an undergrad but a close friend is an MSUCHM student) I would say WSUSOM > MSUCHM ~ 76% of the time. MSU has better name rec but not in medicine. Here is a list of categories I would give to each school.

1) Family Med. -> MSUCHM.
This is MSU's bread and butter. If anything they focus on it too much

2) Specializations -> WSUSOM.
I think there is no competition with this. Way more opportunists at Detroit Medical Center. Try googling local spec docs ( eg: LO eye care near MSU in Lansing) you see about 40% of their ophthalmologist come from WSUSOM, 40% Umich, 15% outside of Michigan. (Their was one ophthalmologist who was from MSU's DO school )

3) Price -> WSUSOM. Unless my data is old they are cheaper in and out of state

4) location-> MSUCHM
Lansing is a lot safer. I hope to attend WSU and if I do I will not live in Detroit (probably reside in Royal Oaks). My father went to WSU and his biggest problem with it was safety ( He actually saw someone get killed, granted not on campus, he couldn't afford to live on campus at the time)

5) Research -> WSUSOM
Wayne is ranked a lot higher in research and receives more research funding.

6) learning/STEP. -> WSUSOM
From what I my friend tells me the PBL and new curriculum come at the price of lower step scores. The clinical experience is helpful but takes away from the high yield material cover in traditional lectures.

I did not have a source for Wayne besides the internet, but I hear they have a traditional M1/2 lectures and M3/4 clinical ( as a WSU student you can volunteer at the free clinic to gain experience)

Take #6 with a grain of salt, it is mostly anecdotal evidence.

Hope some of this helps

From the US world and news report and my own experience as a MSU student (I'm an undergrad but a close friend is an MSUCHM student) I would say WSUSOM > MSUCHM ~ 76% of the time. MSU has better name rec but not in medicine. Here is a list of categories I would give to each school.

1) Family Med. -> MSUCHM.
This is MSU's bread and butter. If anything they focus on it too much

2) Specializations -> WSUSOM.
I think there is no competition with this. Way more opportunists at Detroit Medical Center. Try googling local spec docs ( eg: LO eye care near MSU in Lansing) you see about 40% of their ophthalmologist come from WSUSOM, 40% Umich, 15% outside of Michigan. (Their was one ophthalmologist who was from MSU's DO school )

3) Price -> WSUSOM. Unless my data is old they are cheaper in and out of state

4) location-> MSUCHM
Lansing is a lot safer. I hope to attend WSU and if I do I will not live in Detroit (probably reside in Royal Oaks). My father went to WSU and his biggest problem with it was safety ( He actually saw someone get killed, granted not on campus, he couldn't afford to live on campus at the time)

5) Research -> WSUSOM
Wayne is ranked a lot higher in research and receives more research funding.

6) learning/STEP. -> WSUSOM
From what I my friend tells me the PBL and new curriculum come at the price of lower step scores. The clinical experience is helpful but takes away from the high yield material cover in traditional lectures.

I did not have a source for Wayne besides the internet, but I hear they have a traditional M1/2 lectures and M3/4 clinical ( as a WSU student you can volunteer at the free clinic to gain experience)

Take #6 with a grain of salt, it is mostly anecdotal evidence.

Hope some of this helps

Just a note--the original post is from 3 cycles ago (2015-2016). But still helpful thoughts, thank you!

Reactions: 1 user