MSU College of Human Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBMX

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a quick search and I didn't find any MSU CHM ...so here it is the class of 2011.......:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Yay! Finally someone posted one! Congratulations! May East Lansing treat us well.:) When were you accepted? I was a deferred acceptance from last cycle. Where are you from?

Hi Sikk,
Welcome to Class of 2011. I'm from Michigan, where you're from?
I was accepted on Dec 20, 3 weeks after my interview. I had a couple more acceptances but I'll go to MSU CHM. Unless Penn State or Wayne State has something special, I'll go to MSU CHM. One year in Lansing and Year 2 (PBL in hospital), 3,4 in Grand Rapids sound good for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to MSU for my undergrad as a medical technologist studying in LBS. Graduated there in May of '05 and got a job for a couple years around the Detroit area. I can't wait to finally be back in East Lansing. I'll probably do all 4 years in Lansing after a hardship app because my wife will be going to school and working in Lansing.

hey what were your guys stats? and when did you apply?

congrats by the way!

MCAT 29P, GPA 3.97, 2 research with NCI, community leader, 2 B.S. (1 honors), many ECs.
5 Interviews: MSU CHM, Wayne, Meharry, Penn Sate, SUNY Baffalo
2 acceptances, 2 wailisted, 1 coming
I applied in July.
Keep hoping, you'll get in. What are your stats?

MCAT 29P, GPA 3.97, 2 research with NCI, community leader, 2 B.S. (1 honors), many ECs.
5 Interviews: MSU CHM, Wayne, Meharry, Penn Sate, SUNY Baffalo
2 acceptances, 2 wailisted, 1 coming
I applied in July.
Keep hoping, you'll get in. What are your stats?

i have a sub-30 mcat score, gpa ~3.6, in state, strong LORs, and good ec's (diverse but not stellar)
ur thoughts???

i have a sub-30 mcat score, gpa ~3.6, in state, strong LORs, and good ec's (diverse but not stellar)
ur thoughts???
Did you have interview yet? I think you have a chance. This year, the class size is increased to 150 ( with more applicants too). From year 2, 100 will stay in Lansing while 50 will go to Grand Rapids. If you have any questions about interviewing, PM me. I hope to see you this August.

no i have not recieved any interviews yet, which is really starting to worry me.

i am not sure what to expect this cycle. this is my first time applying, and i hope never have to go through it again.

so I was just accepted to MSU-CHM and wanted to know from anyone who is more familiar with the school your feelings on the strength of the programs and the differences between the different centers. I am not from Michigan and am still waiting to hear from the instate schools I interviewed at. So, I'm not quite sure yet where on my list MSU should be. Also, for people who already know which community site they would do their rotations at, did you apply for a site during the admission proccess or just saying that's where you'd like to be? Basically, did I miss something in the admissions proccess?

any news on who are currently being offered interviews at msuchm???? what stats are they looking at right now?

any difference in residency placements/USMLE scores? how do the two schools compare, pros/cons?

I'm thinking about the two schools too but not sure which one I'll go. Right now, still MSU CHM. Personally, I don't like the class size at WSU (260). I prefer small class size PBL at CHM. Also, I'm doing research with MSU Faculty now at Lacks. I see many opportunities here at CHM. Next years, when the Medical Complex at Spectrum Health (a CHM affiliate) finished, West Michigan will become the regional medical center. I'll keep research more and update about the WSU.

Members don't see this ad :)
any difference in residency placements/USMLE scores? how do the two schools compare, pros/cons?

Hello!

I think Wayne and MSUCHM are very different so think hard about your learning style and which will fit with your personality more.

So to compare:
Wayne: Big Class, over 300. Personally, I like the big class. Its a big pool in which to find friends. Its easy to find your niche and people with common interstest. Also, big class size = more intersting Student Orgs, for example. Simply more people to run them....

MSU: Small class. A friend at CHM told me that he was getting really sick of the same 100 people. He might have been in a bad mood that day, but I could see how a small group might rub on you after a while. But to each his own!

Also, at Wayne, class never seems crowded, because so many people stay home and watch lectures on their computer. So that isn't really a problem Which leads me to difference #2, Curriculum.

PBL- Think hard about this! This is small group work. Really, look inside yourself and make sure this is the best way for you to learn. I've heard too many friends/acquaintences complain about having to go to school, attend meetings, etc. This modality may work for some, but first KNOW THYSELF.

Wayne's Lectures: With the exception of Clinical Medicine classes, all are video streamed. You can choose to go to class, or you can sleep in. You can watch lectures at 2 times speed if you need to catch up. Personally, this is the best way I learn. Just me, my notes, and the pause button on my computer.

Anyways, I'm a Wayne student, so forgive me if my assumptions about CHM are off the mark. I just hope people really think about their learning style and what works for YOU. By the time you hit second year this will become very important.

Last, CHM in Grand Rapids is going to ROCK!! I love GR and wish MSU had gotten their act together sooner-- I might have gone there! But its kind of my hometown bias.

Good luck!!!

Also, at Wayne, class never seems crowded, because so many people stay home and watch lectures on their computer. So that isn't really a problem Which leads me to difference #2, Curriculum.

Wayne's Lectures: With the exception of Clinical Medicine classes, all are video streamed. You can choose to go to class, or you can sleep in. You can watch lectures at 2 times speed if you need to catch up. Personally, this is the best way I learn. Just me, my notes, and the pause button on my computer.

Just to keep it informational....MSU also streams all its classes over the web using Camtasia Studio...so many people don't go to class and just watch on their computers when they want. It sounds like Wayne uses the same, if not a very similar, program :)

Hello!

I think Wayne and MSUCHM are very different so think hard about your learning style and which will fit with your personality more.

So to compare:
Wayne: Big Class, over 300. Personally, I like the big class. Its a big pool in which to find friends. Its easy to find your niche and people with common interstest. Also, big class size = more intersting Student Orgs, for example. Simply more people to run them....

MSU: Small class. A friend at CHM told me that he was getting really sick of the same 100 people. He might have been in a bad mood that day, but I could see how a small group might rub on you after a while. But to each his own!

PBL- Think hard about this! This is small group work. Really, look inside yourself and make sure this is the best way for you to learn. I've heard too many friends/acquaintences complain about having to go to school, attend meetings, etc. This modality may work for some, but first KNOW THYSELF.

Anyways, I'm a Wayne student, so forgive me if my assumptions about CHM are off the mark. I just hope people really think about their learning style and what works for YOU. By the time you hit second year this will become very important.

Last, CHM in Grand Rapids is going to ROCK!! I love GR and wish MSU had gotten their act together sooner-- I might have gone there! But its kind of my hometown bias.

Good luck!!!

I am a 1st Year CHM student and have to respectfully disagree with some statements. Every positive you claimed for WSU can be applied to CHM. All lectures are videotaped and can be watched at 2x speed and are posted the SAME day, which means if you HAVE to come to lecture the next day, you can do so without feeling like you're behind. And the whole student orgs business....I dare you to name an org we DON'T have. Plus, trust me when I tell you, you will be fending off orgs left and right, there's too many to join while trying to do your school work and have a decent life outside of school.

As far as the 100 person class, I went to UCSD with 300 person classes and trust me when I tell you, the 100 person classes are a lot nicer simply because you can actually get to know MORE people. The schools makes an effort to group people in random groups, especially or small groups and such, which allow you to get to know people better, even you normally wouldn't. Not as clique-y as WSU is being described as. If you're getting sick of the same hundred people, imagine having the same 300 people to look at a day. haha. As for PBL, I think most schools either are or want to move more towards PBL (See: UCLA, UCSF, Drexel, etc...) as that is the next gen of learning in medicine. MSU sort of eases you into the PBL rather than throwing you in cold, so they give you an idea of what it's going to be like. What's nice is rather than going to lecture 20 hours a week, you go for 2-3 hours per week and meet in groups to discuss a certain topic (Cardio, Heme-Onc, etc...). It's broken up into 4-8 week blocks (i can't remember right now) throughout the entire 2nd yr you're not being tested twice a week and have significant time to study up for boards. Traditional curriculums are all well and good...but guess what Clinical Rotations are pretty much PBL, NOT 300 person lectures.

Also, I think the thing that set CHM apart from other schools (for me, at least) was the faculty/admins. This place feels like a family environment, the 100 person class allows the faculty/admins to get to know you but more importantly, they are VERY accomodating and go out of their ways to meet your interests and demands.

One more thing, PASS/NO PASS is heavenly. Not competitive, doesn't "make things awkward" as I've heard from A/B/C Honors/High Pass designs. (I don't know how WSU is, but if you have a decision, CHOOSE P/NP)

Holler at me with other questions, if you got em.

Alvin

Just thought I'd say hi. When do we get to pick our community assigmenment?

so I'm guessing, bump, nobody uses our class thread much. COMMON GUYS!!!!;)

I am pretty sure I'll be attending! DocOB, when did you give in your top 3 community list?! Do they ask you for it formally, or do you just email the admissions office with your preferences??

Thanks!

I am pretty sure I'll be attending! DocOB, when did you give in your top 3 community list?! Do they ask you for it formally, or do you just email the admissions office with your preferences??

Thanks!
I haven't given it and haven't even heard anything since they aknowledged receiving my deposit. I called them and they said we may not even chose until we start classes. All they would say as far as finding out new info was to keep checking the status update page. Kind of frustrating, I want to get the damn ball rolling!!!

Hey guys what's up. I was just wondering if any of you guys played hockey. A COM 2011 student, COM 2012 student and I are in search of hockey players to start like a IM team of future doctors for this fall. Especialy a goalie because I can play it but really don't want to. Just PM me or something if you're interested or know some body in our class, the DO class, or the classes above us that might be. Thanks.

Hey just wanted to introduce myself! I will most likely be attending MSU CHM next year!

Does anyone have facebook?

Im gonna get a

Michigan State College of Human Medicine Class of 2011 Group going!

Just joined up! See you in the fall. :) Congrats again on getting accepted.

Nice work, I just joined it. I'm way pumped for the fall. I just got my PID and PAN assigned today. You guys get it yet?

I went to MSU for my undergrad, so my e-mail address and PID are still the same (thankfully, which makes it sooo much easier to remember that PID :)

I've been accepted to MSU CHM as well, in addition to WSU. After several months debating b/w MSU and WSU. I decided go to Penn State. I don't know if this makes sense. But I do love MSU and want to say hi with everyone here. At this point, I'm about 90% go to Penn State. I'm a Michigan resident.

Hey folks -- Anyone into biking? I'm excited to bring my fixie out to E Lansing where it's nice and flat!

Hey fellow soon-to-be Spartans, what are your plans for housing in e.lansing?? seems like theres a number of options (via the accepted student webpage) but without having the luxury of visiting any of the places its hard to make a choice....

Yeah, housing is going to be tricky for me, too. I won't be visiting before moving. Don't know much about it, besides it's all SO CHEAP!

Also, is anyone else dragging their significant other out there???

Yeah, housing is going to be tricky for me, too. I won't be visiting before moving. Don't know much about it, besides it's all SO CHEAP!

Yeah, my Fiance is coming along. We only live about an hour and a half north of Lansing and have gone and visited a bunch of places outside of East Lansing. Nice and quiet places that aren't too far from the school. We are probably going to live in The Beaumont. New, and a little expensive but worth it.

Thanks, DocOB! Looks like a sweet place to live.

Some places have great virtual tours online. Even though I drove up last Friday to have a peek around at some different apartments, it was super helpful to be able to come home and check out floorplans electronically. I'll probably be living in Okemos- nice and close to campus, but with a little breathing room;) And yes, dragging the hubby there, too...

Did anyone receive theirs yet? Anyone talk to FA yet either? Yes, I'm THRILLED to be going to MSU this fall, but it also started to sink in that I'll be paying upwards of $56k a year....:eek:

anyone applying to the MD/MA in Bioethics joint degree program? I 've prepared my application but wanted to see if anyone had any feedback before submitting my app........

Hey there! I was just accepted today and I'll be seeing you all in the fall!

hey you guys,
congrats HH again!! SO happy for you.

i can't believe i forgot to ask this on the interview, but re: anatomy--is it done by dissection at chm, or is it all virtual? i don't recall seeing any anatomy labs on the tour like i did at other schools.

if there is indeed no dissection, how did you current students feel about it? do you feel it puts you at any sort of disadvantage when doing rotations? is it possible to visit another campus to do dissections (e.g. wayne) at some point? are there other ways to learn anatomy solidly if i feel virtual anatomy may not suit me too well (because i seem to grasp things better when they're in front of my face?)

thanks for any insight!

hey you guys,
congrats HH again!! SO happy for you.

i can't believe i forgot to ask this on the interview, but re: anatomy--is it done by dissection at chm, or is it all virtual? i don't recall seeing any anatomy labs on the tour like i did at other schools.

if there is indeed no dissection, how did you current students feel about it? do you feel it puts you at any sort of disadvantage when doing rotations? is it possible to visit another campus to do dissections (e.g. wayne) at some point? are there other ways to learn anatomy solidly if i feel virtual anatomy may not suit me too well (because i seem to grasp things better when they're in front of my face?)

thanks for any insight!

Hey! Thank you so much!

From what I recall, I believe the cadavers are already dissected at CHM. Someone can correct me if I am wrong!

I commented on this on your thread in pre-allo, too...

Guess I will post in here as well, but I just got accepted yesterdy morning and I am really excited for MSU. I also joined the facebook group last night. See everyone in a few months

for those who were recently accepted (and others) what are your plans for housing?!? im thinking about something close to campus, furnished, and not too expensive.... feel free to pm if interested!

for those who were recently accepted (and others) what are your plans for housing?!? im thinking about something close to campus, furnished, and not too expensive.... feel free to pm if interested!

I'm getting a place off campus and unfurnished (since I already have way too much stuff). "not too expensive" depends on your personal budget- I'm probably spending more than I should since I'm living alone in a 2BR, but I can minimize costs elsewhere in my budget (i.e. at 5'2", I don't exactly eat a horse a day, so the estimated food budget is way overpriced for me:laugh: ). There's lots and lots of options, though.

Anyone accepted to the LMU or Rural Med program?

HI EVERYBODY!!!! looks like i'm gonna be moving to e. lansing this summer!!!! i haven't started looking for housing at all....and i can't find the class of 2011 group on facebook....

i can't wait to meet you all! where is everybody living?

Hey everyone!

I too was accepted off the waitlist this week. I am waiting to receive my information in the mail. I am really hoping I got accepted into LMU. Has anyone else heard from LMU? If I don't get into the program, I might not come to CHM...I hope that doesn't happen :eek:

I will probably live as close to campus as I can, somewhere they allow pets. So far, 2900 Place looks pretty good. Anyone who is from E. Lansing - any places you know are great or terrible? Thanks!

hey guys =)
bump! if anyone knows of housing close to fee hall (e.g within walking distance even on a -10 degree day) i'd be most appreciative.. trying to figure this out from cali is a bit difficult, although google maps definitely helps. so far i'm looking at glenwood, beaumont, stonhedge and arbor glen (though i'm not sure how close the last three are).
thanks!

hey guys =)
bump! if anyone knows of housing close to fee hall (e.g within walking distance even on a -10 degree day) i'd be most appreciative.. trying to figure this out from cali is a bit difficult, although google maps definitely helps. so far i'm looking at glenwood, beaumont, stonhedge and arbor glen (though i'm not sure how close the last three are).
thanks!

I remember the Beaumonts being newer and nicer- but definitely a 10 minute drive. It's also a little more expensive, but if you can fork over the cash for a car to drive to class and appreciate a newer place to live, go for it.

I also found out that I did get accepted to the LMU program (last Thursday I believe). So, they're doling those out now, too. Anyone else?? I'm super excited about the program...and I can't wait to find out my schedule for years 3/4.

Thanks BeanerMD! Also thanks for replying about anatomy.. I appreciate it. Congrats on the LMU program acceptance! Um.. can I ask what it is? I'm embarassed to admit I don't know yet..

Dang, I was hoping the Beaumont was closer. The woman I spoke to there said they are located directly on a bus line that runs to campus, but the bus just runs by at this point and does not stop. The city won't allow them to install a bus stop in front of the complex yet. It's estimated to be approved later this year though (December-ish).

Anyone heard of Glenwood? It's close but I don't know how good/safe/quiet/clean it is.

Where/when are people supposed to buy the coursepacks? I'm guessing we don't have to buy them before classes start, right? Is everyone buying all the required books and coursepacks? It would be a lot to carry in a suitcase from here.. if I can avoid buying them till I get there I think I'd want to do that.

SO excited to meet you guys when we get there! I want to join Facebook but I think there's some sort of unofficial rule that bans people as old as me.. at least, that's what my 20 year old sister says. =) She says I have to stick to Friendster, the "old people's" group. Then again, this is the same little sister who told me when the song "A Beautiful Day" came out.. "Dude, you have to hear this amazing new band called U2!!" Bleh.

Is anyone familiar with the differences at each community site. I went to the websites and found them to be pretty similar, so i am having a hard time deciding which to pick. How are you all deciding who site to pick? I am from out of state and am not even familar with the cities to know what each one is like (size, weather, diversity). I would really appreciate if anyone who has already gone through this proccess or who is from Michigan has some advice for me.

Thanks!

P.S. I am really excited to get to know all of you this fall!