Msu-com

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ping1050

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a resident of Michigan and MSUCOM is my first choice for Osteopathic schools. My dad went to the Mich State Allopathic school and one of my LORs is coming from an MSUCOM alumni. How hard would it be for me to be accepted to this school with a 26 MCAT(9VR 9PS 8BS) and 3.26 GPA. Is it worth me retaking the MCAT to raise my score a little bit or do you think that my chances are okay as it stands. I am thinking of just applying now and then forwarding August MCAT scores when and if I take it. Opinions. Sorry if this sounds too much like a "what are my chances thread"

Members don't see this ad.

ping1050 said:
Is it worth me retaking the MCAT to raise my score a little bit or do you think that my chances are okay as it stands. I am thinking of just applying now and then forwarding August MCAT scores when and if I take it.

Yes, plan to take the August MCAT to boost up your score a little; especially the science sections, because these are the areas that are less harder to improve. You need a good MCAT score to offset your relatively low GPA.

Your advantages as of now: You are a Michigan resident, so your chance at MSUCOM will be higher than other states residents. The school reserves about 80% of the seats for Michigan residents. If your LOR from the MSUCOM is from a doctor that you shadow, that would be even better. You can also ask your dad to write you one.

Personally, I like this school a lot, plus, it is rated the highest among osteopathic schools. You take classes with allopathic classmates. I was selected for an interview at MSUCOM, but was decided later to withdraw from the school due to its high out-of-state tuition. You're blessed to be a Michigan resident for this school! I wish Cali had a state school~ :(

You might not need to take the MCAT again, do some more research on accepted resident scores and see if yours is off by much.
Also, while I completely agree with the MSUCOM alum writing you a letter (and I'd try to shadow him/her, just makes it a better letter), I'm not so sure your father should write anything. This is for a couple reasons: first, that it's not the most ethical move and the admissions committee will recognize this; second, your father graduated from the allopathic school. If they ask you about family at MSU go for it, or if you have the chance to very softly mention it, that might help.
In any case, best of luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
subtle1epiphany said:
I'm not so sure your father should write anything. This is for a couple reasons: first, that it's not the most ethical move and the admissions committee will recognize this; second, your father graduated from the allopathic school.

Yes, I should've thought about that twice before I made that comment. It's simply a bad move, provided with the reasons above. The tone will be a lot different and will be biased compared to the other ones.

ping1050 said:
I am a resident of Michigan and MSUCOM is my first choice for Osteopathic schools. My dad went to the Mich State Allopathic school and one of my LORs is coming from an MSUCOM alumni. How hard would it be for me to be accepted to this school with a 26 MCAT(9VR 9PS 8BS) and 3.26 GPA. Is it worth me retaking the MCAT to raise my score a little bit or do you think that my chances are okay as it stands. I am thinking of just applying now and then forwarding August MCAT scores when and if I take it. Opinions. Sorry if this sounds too much like a "what are my chances thread"

I agree with the above posters that it would probably be a better idea to have non-relatives write your LORS. With a letter from a MSUCOM alumni, you should be fine with a non-doctor writing the second LOR. Both my LOR's for MSUCOM came from PhDs at my Ugrad, not physicians, and I had no prob getting in.

Your MCAT looks good, above avg for MSUCOM -- I was accepted with a 24Q. If your EC's are on the weaker side, then I'd worry more about bufffering your EC's. If you're up to the MCAT again, I'd recommend it anyway, but I don't think it's necessary.

my 2 cents, good luck with the app

raDiOnut

Glad to see a MSU COM thread. I am also a Mich resident and was very disappointed in my mcat results (24P PS-8 VR-7 BS-9) mostly because of the 7 in VR :( . MSU COM is definitly the school i would like to go to as I am actually going into my last year of undergrad at MSU next fall. My overall gpa is 3.81 and my science gpa is 3.88 and while i realize these are good grade points, my mcat score is still worrying me.

Right now i dont know what to do about re-taking it in Aug. Im taking 10 credits of classes this summer along with more than 30 hours a week at my job. I dont know how i can fit the time in to study for it and actually improve more than just one or two points. But pretending that i actually had the time to study for the aug mcat, id appreciate any feedback as to whether or not it would be recommended.

Also, i would really appreciate feedback from anyone who is currently in MSU COM about the school ... professors, classes, how classmates interact with each other, etc.

Thank you everyone for any advice or information. Greatly appreciated.

... and GO GREEN!!! :D

I went and spoke with a MSUCOM admissions advisor the other day, and she has some very positive and upbeat things to say to me. First of all, I go to MSU for my undergrad. My GPA is kinda low (3.0 Cum, 2.9 BPCM), and while my over all MCAT was ok (29), my Bio was low (7). But in talking to her about this, I mentioned that I raised my PS 3 points from my practice MCATs, and she said that this was astounding, and that she had never heard of it. Took my name and everything, and said she was going to tell that to the admissions committee. I have about 150 hours of ER volunteer experience, and a few misc volunteering activities.

In sum, she said that she had no doubt I would get a secondary, and most likely an interview, and if interviewed, probably an acceptance. YMMV...