MSUCOM is expanding!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Pdizzle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good news for you Michigan residents (or even some out of staters): MSUCOM is set to expand it's entering class which = more acceptances, less rejections :thumbup: I know some still have a MD/DO stigma, but I think MSUCOM is one DO place that I would choose over MD places :)

EAST LANSING, Mich. – Working to address the projected physician shortage at the first whisper, the Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine has already dramatically increased its class size to ensure an adequate supply of doctors for Michigan’s future.

http://newsroom.msu.edu/site/indexer/2635/content.htm

Recent reports anticipate a severe shortage of doctors, especially in primary care, for both Michigan and the nation. Last week, for example, the Michigan Department of Community Health issued a report indicating that as many as 38 percent of the state’s active physicians are planning to stop practicing within the next 10 years.

“Educating a physician requires four years of undergraduate studies, four years of medical school, and two-to-eight years of postdoctoral education,” said William Strampel, dean of the MSU College of Osteopathic Medicine. “It’s imperative that we address this issue now if we’re going to forestall a health-care crisis in our state.”

Strampel noted that the MSU College of Osteopathic Medicine is strategically poised to address the shortfall, in that it is ranked ninth among all medical schools in the nation for primary care education, and fully two-thirds of its alumni remain to practice in Michigan.

The college has already responded by expanding its 2005 entering class from 147 to 205 students, and is planning to educate 50 additional students in each class at an off-campus site in southeastern Michigan by 2007

Members don't see this ad.

Dr.Pdizzle said:
Good news for you Michigan residents (or even some out of staters): MSUCOM is set to expand it's entering class which = more acceptances, less rejections :thumbup: I know some still have a MD/DO stigma, but I think MSUCOM is one DO place that I would choose over MD places :)

EAST LANSING, Mich. – Working to address the projected physician shortage at the first whisper, the Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine has already dramatically increased its class size to ensure an adequate supply of doctors for Michigan’s future.

The college has already responded by expanding its 2005 entering class from 147 to 205 students, and is planning to educate 50 additional students in each class at an off-campus site in southeastern Michigan by 2007

Wow, that is a dramatic increase. Bodes well for the future of healthcare.
MSUCOM is one of my top 5 choices so I'm glad to hear this news.

:thumbup: :thumbup: Articles such as this make me proud that I chose MSUCOM as my medical school! Being from Detroit (yep- the actual city of Detroit), I am familiar with the shortage that exists already, but attending a school that is trying to DO something about the upcoming shortage? Priceless. Go MSUCOM!