MSUCOM may be expanding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vegangirl

DOctor begins with DO
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to the State News (the MSU newspaper) MSUCOM is thnking of adding a branch campus in the Detroit area which would house 50 students. The campus may be established by 2007

Members don't see this ad.

MSUCOM expanded its class at the current campus and is going to have what they are calling a "sattelite campus" in the Detroit area.

futuredo32 said:
MSUCOM expanded its class at the current campus and is going to have what they are calling a "sattelite campus" in the Detroit area.

If every other DO school is doing it, why not state?

I think that thay should start a branch campus in montana though, I think that would be pretty hilarious.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that thay should start a branch campus in montana though, I think that would be pretty hilarious.[/QUOTE]

:laugh:

do you guys think for next year's class if they do expand that they will keep msucom lansing campus to 205 students and detroit campus to 50 students bringing the total to 255 studnents. I live right around detroit so I would love to go there.

shawmahmed said:
do you guys think for next year's class if they do expand that they will keep msucom lansing campus to 205 students and detroit campus to 50 students bringing the total to 255 studnents. I live right around detroit so I would love to go there.

I think so, but I am not sure.

shawmahmed said:

I don't think that there would be any economic benefit of only having 50 students on the detroit campus. I don't think that it could pay for itself in terms of revenue.

If they had maybe 75 or 100 I could see them starting up a building. there is just too much in the way of infrastructure involved in a complete building to only have 50 students. think about the number of cadavers that they would have to possess in order to accomodate 50 students and then toss in an OMM lab. I don't think that they would be able to justify the expense for such a small class size.

judgehopkins said:
I don't think that there would be any economic benefit of only having 50 students on the detroit campus. I don't think that it could pay for itself in terms of revenue.

If they had maybe 75 or 100 I could see them starting up a building. there is just too much in the way of infrastructure involved in a complete building to only have 50 students. think about the number of cadavers that they would have to possess in order to accomodate 50 students and then toss in an OMM lab. I don't think that they would be able to justify the expense for such a small class size.
I've heard up to 90 students in Detroit.
The hospital affiliations are growing rapidly in Detroit. Evidently the President/CEO of the Detroit Medical Center (Receiving, Children's, and Henry Ford) is very interested in taking our students. Also, the St. Joseph's in Ann Arbor has been recently added to our affiliate listings.
The satellite campus, by rumor, is partially due to a private school wanting to set up an Osteopathic college in the area, but since we've got firm holdings in Michigan and especially that area through Henry Ford and Pontiac Osteopathic, we'll expand and keep the state. MSU is a school to watch in terms of medical education, we're expanding...all the colleges are...it's a good time to be a doctor in many ways.

subtle1epiphany said:
I've heard up to 90 students in Detroit.
The hospital affiliations are growing rapidly in Detroit. Evidently the President/CEO of the Detroit Medical Center (Receiving, Children's, and Henry Ford) is very interested in taking our students. Also, the St. Joseph's in Ann Arbor has been recently added to our affiliate listings.
The satellite campus, by rumor, is partially due to a private school wanting to set up an Osteopathic college in the area, but since we've got firm holdings in Michigan and especially that area through Henry Ford and Pontiac Osteopathic, we'll expand and keep the state. MSU is a school to watch in terms of medical education, we're expanding...all the colleges are...it's a good time to be a doctor in many ways.

what do guys think is the chance that this will happen and will it happen for the class of 2011

I could see this follow the University of Washington model: 5 states send students to UW, and the med students all do their first years in their home states (Washington splits between UW and WSU). Yes, the Montana students do thier first year in Montana. ;) The students then all gather in Seattle for the 2nd year. If MSU can get space in Detroit and share the cadaver facilities with other programs (OT, PT, MSN, PA, etc) then it would be cost-effective. Less work then opening a full or branch campus.

subtle1epiphany said:
Evidently the President/CEO of the Detroit Medical Center (Receiving, Children's, and Henry Ford) is very interested in taking our students.

FYI Henry Ford Hospital is not part of the DMC. HFH is one of the (essentially) four big health systems in the Detroit area (others are Beaumont, St. John's, and DMC).

Also, aren't there already some MSUCOM students in the Detroit area for MS3 and MS4 clerkships?

oldjeeps said:
FYI Henry Ford Hospital is not part of the DMC. HFH is one of the (essentially) four big health systems in the Detroit area (others are Beaumont, St. John's, and DMC).

Also, aren't there already some MSUCOM students in the Detroit area for MS3 and MS4 clerkships?
MSUCOM students rotate at Henry Ford, Botsford, St.John's Oakland, Garden City, POH, and Mt.Clemens in the Detroit Area.

oldjeeps said:

Sorry about that, I keep getting things confused. You can definitely tell that I'm from out of state.
Yeah, we have Wynandotte and Bi-County as Henry Ford sites (with rotations at Henry Ford's Detroit site as options), and the others that futureDO mentioned. Isn't St. John's Riverside in Detroit?
Anyways, this is just a possibility according to our Dean of Students, I don't want to spread false rumors, only the true ones. ;)

There might be a St.John's Riverside in Detroit I think, not sure. There is a St.John's Oakland around Warren or Madison Heights(which probably doesn't mean too much if
you are not familiar with Michigan, sorry).

futuredo32 said:
There might be a St.John's Riverside in Detroit I think, not sure. There is a St.John's Oakland around Warren or Madison Heights(which probably doesn't mean too much if
you are not familiar with Michigan, sorry).

There is a St. John's Riverside on Jefferson (fairly close to Belle Isle) - pass it most days on my way into school.

during my interview kathy schaefer said that the satelite would be in Troy.

cfdavid said:
Just out of curiousity, did she mention anything specific about how it would be run? Are students just going to go to the Troy campus for OMT and anatomy and listen online to lectures or are they planning to have live lectures in Troy as well?

cfdavid said:

did she tell when this would happen, is it going to happen for the class entering in 2007?

oldjeeps said:
There is a St. John's Riverside on Jefferson (fairly close to Belle Isle) - pass it most days on my way into school.

It's actually St. John Riverview on Jefferson. I have been a paramedic for 12+ years in the detroit/warren etc area.

Rob

I don't believe the specifics have been released fully, or they might not have been finalized. Dr. Riegle, Dean of Academic Affairs and Facilities, mentioned the possibility of having the branch campus use internet-based teaching tools and such, but there was no definitive take on that. To tell you my take on it, I hope that it's a full-fledged campus. I know that will be more expensive and possibly less-likely, but it feels cheapened if it's not the same as the main campus. I mean, then why are you attending the first two years aside from labs? And why can't anyone just do that and then have affiliated sites...okay, this just gets into a huge debate and possible argument, so I'm going to stop it. I really didn't mean to bring all that up.
Regardless of the outcome, I am certain, positively and absolutely sure that MSUs Osteopathic branch will be up to the same level of standards as the main campus, which is to say, outstanding by any measure.
It is clear that is the goal as they haven't been rushing to get it finalized and they are making sure that there are adequate facilities, faculty, and affilates in the area. It will happen, and it will be good.

As to when, entering class of 2007 has been mentioned, but not promised.

FUTR_DR said:
It's actually St. John Riverview on Jefferson. I have been a paramedic for 12+ years in the detroit/warren etc area.

Rob

Thanks for the correction - goes to show how much attention I am paying to details like that on my way into school.

I think MSU has a tendency to release big announcements a little prematurely. Just look at all the drama surrounding CHM's expansion into Grand Rapids. These types of contracts with hospitals are not off the cuff kind of decisions between the dean and the CEO, they can be long, drawn out, and complicated. I'll believe all this when I see it.