1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

MSUCOM or AZCOM

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by afigursk, Feb 13, 2002.

1. afigursk

afigursk New Member

I am having a tough time making the final decision for the fall. I am from Michigan, so MSU is the practical, logical thing to do. But something about Arizona is drawing me there. I recently found this site and noticed a lot of good advice has been given, do you have any for me?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Cottontop

Cottontop Member
    10+ Year Member

Hmmmm....it was 79 degrees today, and look its February! I love Arizona and I love AZCOM!!!! Come on down!!!! :D

4. Kadyra

Kadyra Will drive for music.
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am a midwestern transplant to Arizona. Lived here almost 14 years. I love Arizona. It can take a bit of getting used to in the summer, but the winter's are great.

If you are really being pulled down here, come here.

5. Ligament

Ligament Interventional Pain Management
    Physician Lifetime Donor SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Stay in Michigan. You will need a support system. Also MSU is cheaper. I am a michigander and went to med school in chicago. I like chicago alot NOW, but during the first two years (which are generally hellish), I was suffering big time for lack of a support network, family, friends, etc.

In addition, azcom is still a new school and my guess is that the rotation network is not fully developed yet. MSU has been around for a long time.

MSU:
    1. support
    2. cheaper
    3. developed

arizona:
    1. weather (tempting i know!)
    ???

best of luck! seriously, i cannot underemphasize the importance of having a support network during the first two years.

6. titan

titan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

afigursk,

I can relate with your situation. Although I know nothing about MSU, I was left with the decision of which school to attend between AZCOM, DMU, KCOM, PCOM, and CCOM. I declined my interviews at PCOM and CCOM, and turned down acceptances at DMU and KCOM b/c I was too impressed with AZCOM. I felt the most comfortable at AZCOM (despite it costing the most) than any of the other schools. I went with my gut on this one.....and I think I will be very happy with my decision.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do, but I was thoroughly impressed with AZCOM! Send me an e-mail if you want to correspond further about AZCOM....

titan

7. jhug

jhug 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

i honestly don't know much about msu so i will say nothing pro/con about it-- as far as azcom, i will write your eyes off as to how impressed i feel with the school!!! :) Bag the weather, we'll be inside for most of the time anyway--azcom's teaching is excellent- they've had 100% first time board pass rates for the last two years- they are definately doing teaching very, very well. The rotation setup really makes sense. Preceptor mixed with traditional-- you work one on one with a doctor, learn individually what they have picked up over the years & also have the traditional rotations to compliment. Pheonix has some of the best hospitals in the nation-- ie MAYO!!!! land a rotation there, impress the pants of them & get a great letter of rec and residencies will open up to you!!! I, like many, am going with the "drawn" feeling. While i was there everything just seemed right! The students/support group, the school, the interview-- everything just seemed to fit what i wanted out of my medical education. Either way you should feel super about being accepted-- both are wonderful schools that will put you where you want to go. Good luck and post any other questions.