Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

MSW en route to PSYD HELP!?

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by GAUCHO VIC, Dec 24, 2008.

1. GAUCHO VIC

Psychology Student
    Quick Background:
    Hello I currently just graduated from a UC with a sub-par GPA due to the fact that I changed my major many a time. I majored in Religious Studies and minored in applied psych and took my GRE Psych subject (520). I currently work with Mental Health at a homeless shelter and have decided that I want to become a psychologist. I have done extensive research into master's and psy d programs and even stayed an extra quarter to take the pre-req's for an MA in Clinical of Counseling Psych, I am 90% positive that I want to make the commitment and go to school for however long it takes to obtain my masters, and psy d. en route to becoming a Clinical Psychologist.

In talking with a few MSW's I work with, and as a result checking out some MSW programs I believe my chances of admission into a reputable MSW program are much higher than getting into an equally distinguished MA in Clinical or Counseling Psych program (Due to my work experience with high-risk populations). If I decided to go into an MSW program and direct my studies toward community mental health will I have an equal chance in admission with MA's in clinical or counseling psych?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. hermionephd

2+ Year Member

If you want a PsyD, I would just keep doing what you're doing, getting more experience, and you probably won't have a problem... they're not hard to get into.

4. Therapist4Chnge

Therapist4Chnge Neuropsych Ninja Faculty
    Faculty Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Psychologist
    uhm....very program dependent. :rolleyes:

5. WannaBeDrMe

2+ Year Member

Yeah, agreed, the good PsyD programs are not a cakewalk and I'd say I might stand a better chance at a few phd clinical programs than @ Baylor. Ha.

Do not choose social work just b/c it's easier to get into... that's foolish and a waste of your time and the department's time. If psychology is your only interest... then find a psychology program that fits your needs and appreciates your unique skill set.

An MSW will make you no more likely to gain admission to a PsyD program than any other degree.. and I guarantee you that if they get a hint that you only went PsyD b/c you couldn't get into psychology... it will work against you entirely.

good luck w/your decision

6. apumic

apumic Oracle of the Sheet
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I agree with T4C here. If a Psy.D. program is willing to accept you right out with a low GPA and 520 Psych GRE (around the 35th percentile, I'd guess?), I'd definitely suggest a careful look at the program. I've always heard that an M.S. in Psychology (general/research oriented program) is most helpful in gaining admission to a doctoral clinical program if your GPA is low and may give you a chance to develop a respectable knowledge of the field of Psychology. Certainly your professional experience will be helpful, but good Psy.D. programs aren't any easier to get into than decent Ph.D. programs (10% or so... even IUP turns down 3/4 of their candidates). Considering the issues talked about on this board on an almost daily basis, I would be pretty wary about going to a program that will cost you $100,000+ over 4-7 years.

#5 apumic, Dec 24, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  7. GAUCHO VIC

Psychology Student
    Thanks for the responses I guess the main jist of my question was whether or not I will be put at a disadvantage if I decide to go for the MSW in pursuit of a doctoral degree in psychology (particularly Psyd) vs getting a Masters in Psych

8. hermionephd

2+ Year Member

Well, I'm not going to get into that (and maybe I'm just bitter because I'm applying to the most competitive type of graduate program out there), but I guess what I was trying to get at is that I don't think it's going to make a HUGE difference to the OP whether he/she gets his/her master's in psych or a MSW if his/her end goal is to get into a PsyD program. It seems as though master's in psych programs vary from program to program (e.g., my program is definitely equally focused on research and clinical work, I have a friend at a program where clinical work isn't really emphasized, etc.), so I would do your homework and see which programs are a good match for the PsyD programs you're looking at. It might also be a good idea to chat with professors at these schools to get an idea of what background is the best prep for the program.

9. GAUCHO VIC

Psychology Student
    thanks.. great advice.. my letter's of rec. written to professor's were directed towards a master's in psych in that I did not even think of an MSW as an option..this may be a dumb question but should I get them to re-write the letter or just add an addendum about the letters bc the fields are related and I would mention my somewhat recent interest in an MSW program

10. apumic

apumic Oracle of the Sheet
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Probably need new LORs. It would seem to me that an "addendum" explaining what your LORs all wrote letters pointing you toward an MS in Psych wouldn't really look very positive for you!

11. Therapist4Chnge

Therapist4Chnge Neuropsych Ninja Faculty
    Faculty Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Psychologist
    You'll definitely need a re-write, because the two trainings are very different, and require different skill sets (at least from what I've seen).

12. GAUCHO VIC

Psychology Student
    That is what I thought..thank you all for your help!