MSW/JD (combined degree program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYUCD2010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
(My apologies if you saw this question on the MSW forum)

My girlfriend is interested in pursuing a MSW in the NY/NJ/Philly/Boston areas (roughly, the 'Northeast). She is also starting to look into dual-degree programs combining the MSW with JD.

We did a bit of due diligence and discovered MSW/JD programs offered in said region at NYU, Columbia, Fordham, Rutgers, Stony Brook, Yeshiva, Penn, BC, and BU.

Responses, insights, perspectives to any of the below questions will be appreciated:

1) Is anyone currently enrolled in a MSW/JD program at any of the aformentioned programs, or does anyone know of others in such programs?

2) What do graduates of MSW/JD programs pursue, and how different is it from having just an MSW (of course, no one needs another degree above and beyond a terminal degree like the MSW, but is there a concrete difference in potential post-grad opportunities)?

I would imagine that there are definite overlaps between aspects of social work and the legal field, but concrete examples of real MSW/JD grads (read: real people, instead of so-called synergies advertised on school websites and brochures) would be more credible... thanks.

Members don't see this ad.