MSW Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sabrun

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm 34 and work in Banking but looking for a career change. I've loved psychology, anything that has to do with the brain, mind for a long time and im exploring options in that field, especially therapy/couseling more specifically relationship/marriage therapist. Don't really know much about the field though, so if ure a therapist could you tell me more about the work, day in the life, personal satiisfaction ect Do you think im too old to go this route at my age? Would you recommend or not? Earning potential etc. Im thinking about doing an MSW (2 years) and getting licensed LSCW and start a private practice. I would like to keep my current job as a source of income while going to school, is it doable? Most programs i see require at least 18h of fieldwork a week. What do you typically do in fieldwork? Is it just admin staff or real social work? Will i be able to keep my job in finance working full time, take night classes and still do fieldwork? Would you recommend that? Or is the program too intensive for thAt? Im looking at the program at Rutgers. Any advice appreciated. TIA
trn.gif
trn.gif
trn.gif
trn.gif
trn.gif
trn.gif
trn.gif
trn.gif
trn.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, I'm 34 and work in Banking but looking for a career change. I've loved psychology, anything that has to do with the brain, mind for a long time and im exploring options in that field, especially therapy/couseling more specifically relationship/marriage therapist. Don't really know much about the field though, so if ure a therapist could you tell me more about the work, day in the life, personal satiisfaction ect Do you think im too old to go this route at my age? Would you recommend or not? Earning potential etc. Im thinking about doing an MSW (2 years) and getting licensed LSCW and start a private practice. I would like to keep my current job as a source of income while going to school, is it doable? Most programs i see require at least 18h of fieldwork a week. What do you typically do in fieldwork? Is it just admin staff or real social work? Will i be able to keep my job in finance working full time, take night classes and still do fieldwork? Would you recommend that? Or is the program too intensive for thAt? Im looking at the program at Rutgers. Any advice appreciated. TIA
trn.gif
trn.gif
trn.gif
trn.gif
trn.gif
trn.gif
trn.gif
trn.gif
trn.gif

If you want to work mainly with families and couples then a marriage and family therapy (MFT) program is another good option to consider. In an LMFT program you will get more exposure to the kinds of interventions that work well with couples.

I don't think 34 is too old. I've known people who started on an MD or PhD degree even a bit later in life than you. A master's is a more feasible time commitment for most people. But it all depends on your personal motivations, goals, willingness to sacrifice time and money, etc.

I can't speak to your ability to remain employed during training. For psychologists this is not really possible, but there may be some master's programs that provide more flexibility. Chances are you'd still have to transition to part-time employment though.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to work mainly with families and couples then a marriage and family therapy (MFT) program is another good option to consider. In an LMFT program you will get more exposure to the kinds of interventions that work well with couples.

I don't think 34 is too old. I've known people who started on an MD or PhD degree even a bit later in life than you. A master's is a more feasible time commitment for most people. But it all depends on your personal motivations, goals, willingness to sacrifice time and money, etc.

I can't speak to your ability to remain employed during training. For psychologists this is not really possible, but there may be some master's programs that provide more flexibility. Chances are you'd still have to transition to part-time employment though.
Thank you. I am not sure yet what I want to specialize in to be honest, thats why I am considering the MSW since it is more generic, in case I don't end up working with families or couples.

I was 39 when I graduated with my BS in Psych, and 41 when I graduated with my MSW. Honestly, I feel like it has given me an advantage while going through my supervision hours. Not for any logical reason, but sometimes older patients will request an older therapist. I'm not saying it's right, but I have a larger caseload at times because patients want the "older therapist." Never mind that that the "younger therapist" has more job experience in this field and her LCSW for 5 years, whereas I'm still under supervision.

As an older student, with a previous career, you already know how to be a professional. I feel like that's an advantage too :) I've been afforded some opportunities that other students weren't given because of those skills I learned elsewhere.

trn.gif
trn.gif
trn.gif
trn.gif
trn.gif
trn.gif
trn.gif
trn.gif
trn.gif

It really does depend on your career goals but an MSW is a versatile degree. I've worked in family based therapy, been the director of an inpatient unit for substance abuse/MH, worked in outpatient substance abuse for the Army, worked private practice, and now I work at a VA providing psychotherapy. All of that was with my MSW and of course, LCSW. Keep in mind that different states have different acronyms for the license. Bottom line, you want to be independently licensed. This allows you to bill insurance companies once you get paneled. Be prepared though, this process (getting paneled, billing insurance) is not as straightforward as you may imagine.

First of all, not all insurance companies will panel with you (meaning you can't see those clients in private practice (PP) unless you don't want to get paid) until you have a certain amount of post-licensure experience. The big ones are Medicare, Tricare, and Medicaid. There are some others, but unless you get in with a well-established practice somewhere that generally gets a lot of referrals from good insurance sources, making money will be hard. Private practice is great but you will really want to be in with a group practice somewhere once you start. That will help with referrals, etc. As far as the work involved with being a therapist...it varies greatly depending on where you work. Keep in mind that in private practice, if your patient doesn't show, you don't make any money. This can be very difficult if you live in an area with common bad weather or aren't good at getting your patients to show. Many LCSW's get around this reality by working for the VA, DOD, or some other federal agency. They generally pay well, have good benefits, and you don't have to worry about the no show issue. That said, depending on where you work, your caseload can be HORRIBLE.

I work for the VA and my caseload is not manageable and is in fact, probably unethical. So, while I'm compensated well for my field, my days are generally very stressful. Back to your goal of marriage and family therapy. You could go the LMFT route, but you'd have a few problems there. There are a few insurances, and some of the big ones, that don't panel with LMFT's. The federal government also does not hire those folks. So, in my opinion, if you think that you'd never want to pursue a PhD, an MSW is a good option. I've never had trouble finding work and personally, I've always been compensated well enough for me. Just keep in mind the timeframe - 2 years to get MSW, at least 2 years to get LCSW with the possibility of having to pay someone out of pocket to provide your supervision hours, and 2-3 years after that until you're paneled with ALL of the major insurance companies (which requires paperwork, malpractice insurance, regular updating, etc). As far as field work, you will have to complete an internship. Mine was 32 hours per week. I was lucky enough to get in with a company where I already worked (a local hospital) and vary my day to day enough that we called it my internship. So, I was paid for mine. That's atypical though. Otherwise, it's very hard to work and do a program like that during the internship. If you have any questions, just ask!

Thank you . I got accepted to start my MSW this fall and im scared and excited! Could you tell me more about what you do at the VA? I heard that was a very good position to get and you are trained and compensated well and its hard to get in. Any tips on how to make myself competitive when i start applying?
My program also offers a Violence against women certificate and an ACT certificate for addictions. Which one would you recommend? Im interested in both to be honest but can only pick one.