Msw to PsyD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ikibah

MSW student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know of any good Psyd Programs that will knock off a few years because of my MSW?

Members don't see this ad.

No good doctorate program is going to waive years. At best, you might get a few courses waived, but it probably won't cut down on your timelime significantly.

This. My program, for example, would sometimes waive some of the intro courses, but required students to make up the credit hours elsewhere (e.g., with advanced stats classes). Even those who came in with a prior empirical thesis and had that waived didn't end up finishing any more quickly; it just gave them a chance to do additional research.

This. My program, for example, would sometimes waive some of the intro courses, but required students to make up the credit hours elsewhere (e.g., with advanced stats classes). Even those who came in with a prior empirical thesis and had that waived didn't end up finishing any more quickly; it just gave them a chance to do additional research.

This. Or in the case of the Psy.D. I have heard of being able to do more elective practica.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where the MSW will most benefit you will be in practicum placements and at internship, when your existing knowledge of case management and policy and experience with direct service will put you ahead of straight from undergrad applicants

Where the MSW will most benefit you will be in practicum placements and at internship, when your existing knowledge of case management and policy and experience with direct service will put you ahead of straight from undergrad applicants

This, you might stand out more as a student, but it will not put you extensively ahead.

It not even the same field?! Its like saying "I have a MBA, can you take a year of my ph.d in economics..."

yes, in the way that the field of economics requires some knowledge of business practices...