MSW MSW vs MPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emberly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been working in the nonprofit sector for three years, and I am trying to decide which degree to pursue in order to take my career to the next level. I have a BA in English, and I started working for one nonprofit right after undergrad. My role was creating training systems to improve the quality of local after school programs. I then transferred into a grant writing role with that same organization. Now I work for a foundation on the development side (raising money). But I am interested in transitioning to the program side (awarding funding to nonprofit organizations, raising awareness around important community issues, bringing organizations together to collectively solve problems, etc.)

Macro social work seems to fit my interests well-- systems building, advocacy, collective impact, things like that. But whenever I hear others talk about social work, the focus always seems to be around case management and therapy. So my question here is, would an MSW truly position me to be a leader in the nonprofit sector, working with many partners on issues that impact full communities, or would an MPA be more appropriate? To me the advantage that an MSW seems to offer is the content knowledge about specific issue areas, as opposed to an MPA which seems more general. But I wonder if an MPA is more broadly perceived as a degree that qualifies one for a "management" role overseeing large systems?

Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Emberly! I'm sorry I don't have an exact answer for you. I just wanted to let you know that my school used to have a dual MPA/MSW program. It's now a MPH/MSW program. So maybe you could find a program that combines both? I do know that when I read what you are currently doing, an MSW spot on fits that description. Maybe you could find one of these dual degrees and get the best of both worlds? You would totally be set up that way :) The MPH and MSW have overlapping credits, as do the MPA and MSW (like diversity and research). Something to think about. Though honestly, I think either one would set you up for a "management role" especially with the background you already have.

Maybe someone with more experience will chime in.

Reactions: 1 user
I went and got an MPA and was promoted to QI manager. Then I got an MSW and I'm now licensed. I realized, especially in the mental health and human services sector, you don't need an MPA to be a manager, supervisor, or administrator. I could have saved myself some money by skipping the MPA and just doing the MSW. So, skip the MPA, or the pricey dual thingy, and just do the MSW if you're planning to work in a mental health, substance abuse, CPS, or human services setting. Just look at employment descriptions at these places and look at how many require a licensure or prelicensure status instead of an MPA or MBA.

Reactions: 1 user