MSW with Research Component

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychtnt

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am looking to apply to MSW programs in the fall and I am relatively new to the idea of completing a social work masters. I have been advised by a few clinical psychologists I know to pursue this degree because my interests are centered around providing direct service/having my own private practice. That being said, I still have an interest in research. I have presented at 3 conferences in undergrad when I was working on independent research projects. I don't foresee research being a huge part of my professional life but I want to make sure that I can still be involved in research in my masters program in the case that I want to pursue at Ph.D at some point. I would apply to a Ph.D program now but I graduated with a 3.2 (premed courses tanked me freshman year) I would like to strengthen my academic history while earning a degree that I can use immediately as a clinician as opposed to a psychological research masters. I am particularly interested in the efficacy of evidence based practices for African American patients. I would like to know if anyone is aware of an MSW program where there are research opportunities for students?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, I am looking to apply to MSW programs in the fall and I am relatively new to the idea of completing a social work masters. I have been advised by a few clinical psychologists I know to pursue this degree because my interests are centered around providing direct service/having my own private practice. That being said, I still have an interest in research. I have presented at 3 conferences in undergrad when I was working on independent research projects. I don't foresee research being a huge part of my professional life but I want to make sure that I can still be involved in research in my masters program in the case that I want to pursue at Ph.D at some point. I would apply to a Ph.D program now but I graduated with a 3.2 (premed courses tanked me freshman year) I would like to strengthen my academic history while earning a degree that I can use immediately as a clinician as opposed to a psychological research masters. I am particularly interested in the efficacy of evidence based practices for African American patients. I would like to know if anyone is aware of an MSW program where there are research opportunities for students?
Portland State comes to mind. But if your ultimate degree goal is a PhD in psychology, you really will be better served by a masters degree in psychology, preferably with a thesis component.

Reactions: 1 users
MSW programs connected to an R1 or R2 where faculty are actively engaged in research via grants will likely have research opportunities for students. University of Washington and University of Wisconsin-Madison are both coming to mind right now.

Reactions: 1 users
Portland State comes to mind. But if your ultimate degree goal is a PhD in psychology, you really will be better served by a masters degree in psychology, preferably with a thesis component.
Thank you , I am in California and I'd like to stay in state. I have also been considering a masters in research psychology from Cal State Long Beach along with the MSW from UCLA, Cal State Long Beach, or USC. I also plan on applying to the masters in clinical psychology from Cal State University Northridge which involves a masters thesis. I want to get the most affordable degree that I can in order to prepare for the potential of life as a Ph.D student. Hopefully this will be the last degree I take on debt for.:xf: