MTB 2 vs MTB 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

colts

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
MTB 2 or MTB 3?

Which one alone is better for Step 2 CK?

I've heard that doing both is the best, but I feel like I would make the best use of my time by sticking to just one and reviewing that more than once.

Members don't see this ad.

As mentioned in previous threads and as you probably already know: if you have both, do MTB 2 for IM and MTB 3 for non-IM subjects.

I honestly wouldn't rec either one alone since each covers topics that the other doesn't. If you must pick one, then just do MTB 2 + UW.... Lots of UW.

Last edited:
:thumbdown:

I'm fairly sure you know the answer to this already.

if i knew the answer, i wouldn't post it :mad:

there's a lot of info on this subject...but i'm unclear which one is better

Is uworld enough to cover what would be covered in MTB 3?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I also used the non-IM from mtb 2 along with the non-IM from mtb 3, they complement each other quite well. It does seem like a lot more reading but you can get through it quickly because of the overlap.

I also used the non-IM from mtb 2 along with the non-IM from mtb 3, they complement each other quite well. It does seem like a lot more reading but you can get through it quickly because of the overlap.

Do you really need the non-IM MTB 2 stuff? Seems like its not adding extra, except maybe EM.

i'm still kinda wondering if uworld makes up for the information that is in MTB 3?

Or will combing First Aid with MTB 2 be the same thing as combing MTB 2 + MTB 3?

Is there a major difference between the two that justifies getting both? I was hoping one would be sufficient.

i'm still kinda wondering if uworld makes up for the information that is in MTB 3?

Or will combing First Aid with MTB 2 be the same thing as combing MTB 2 + MTB 3?

Good question... And bump

I just got home from this monster. Honestly, if I could go back and study for the test I took today, I would reapportion all the time I spent on MTB II (Medicine) and MTB III (everything else) and use it reviewing every question I had marked in uworld. The things that didn't seem familiar from shelf studying and uworld were the kind of weird, obscure things that I don't think were even in either book.

With the exception of OBGYN (III). That was spot-on.

I just got home from this monster. Honestly, if I could go back and study for the test I took today, I would reapportion all the time I spent on MTB II (Medicine) and MTB III (everything else) and use it reviewing every question I had marked in uworld. The things that didn't seem familiar from shelf studying and uworld were the kind of weird, obscure things that I don't think were even in either book.

With the exception of OBGYN (III). That was spot-on.

Congrats on finishing it! I wish everyone could read this post and stop the search for the best book ... :D

This is a dumb question but is MTB 3 = MTB for Step 3? Do people really use this for step 2 CK? I had no idea.

This is a dumb question but is MTB 3 = MTB for Step 3? Do people really use this for step 2 CK? I had no idea.

Yes MTB for Step 3. People use only the Peds, OB, Surgery and Psych sections for 2CK.

Hence the MTB 2 (IM) + MTB 3 ("everything else") recommendation.