USMLE MTB 3rd Edition Out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

n618ft

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For Step 2... released yesterday. Just got it in today and I'm on page 25. I'm reading it cover-to-cover for my CK 20 days from now. Seems legit so far - much better organized than FA. Anyone else get a hold of this book yet?

Amazon product

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For Step 2... released yesterday. Just got it in today and I'm on page 25. I'm reading it cover-to-cover for my CK 20 days from now. Seems legit so far - much better organized than FA. Anyone else get a hold of this book yet?

Amazon product

Yeah, I think that's the main question people care about: is there a reasonable difference between editions.

In reality, no one is going to read the new and old MTB2. But perhaps someone who happens to own both can look and briefly compare the two.

However I respect Fischer's commitment to writing books/teaching and believe this edition should get a fair shot. I'd skim it myself to compare but I'm post 2CK now and would quite honestly be bored going through it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not even sure Fischer wrote most of this. I've noticed multiple errors in it so far. They've avoided explaining how a test works because "this is never the right answer." Bull, the USMLE asks about the science behind some of these tests. Twice so far I've seen it say that "Osteomyelitis, most commonly from Salmonella" about sickle cell patients. I've watched his lecture videos and he obviously didn't have as much to do with this book as they say.

Reactions: 1 user
Phloston! Quick question as I just bought UpToDate.

What is the best way to use it for my CK prep, I am about 2 months out.

I am definitely using UWorld and Kaplan as my question banks, and didn't know how I can put UpToDate in the mix?

Can you give a specific example I can systematically use it as a supplement.

Appreciate your help and hope all is well

Phloston! Quick question as I just bought UpToDate.

What is the best way to use it for my CK prep, I am about 2 months out.

I am definitely using UWorld and Kaplan as my question banks, and didn't know how I can put UpToDate in the mix?

Can you give a specific example I can systematically use it as a supplement.

Appreciate your help and hope all is well

Use UTD to substantiate what you read in UW (i.e., if there's something you're not 100% clear on guideline-wise, check UTD). This is particularly clutch for cancer screening guidelines, Pap smears, HIV in pregnancy, and endocarditis prophylaxis. You can start with the summaries/recommendations section at the end of the articles and then work backwards if you want more info. I would also look up appropriate imaging to use for diagnosing pediatric hip disorders with respect to age.

I bought it via amazon, received it via UPS to S. Korea yesterday.. To be honest, Most of it is exactly the same. At least the chapters for Internal Medicine is.. There are few algorithms added in (diagnostic flow chart etc.), but.. if you are more than 50% done with your study, and you have lots of annotation already in MTB step 2 ck, 2nd edition, then just stick with your annotated version.

In amazon customer review, there is a person who took picture comparing the two versions, and I agree with that person..

I was going to buy the new MTB because I hoped it would be expanded more than the 2nd edition. I had a hard time trying to read through the 2nd edition MTB. Does anyone prefer first aid ck over the MTB?

I was going to buy the new MTB because I hoped it would be expanded more than the 2nd edition. I had a hard time trying to read through the 2nd edition MTB. Does anyone prefer first aid ck over the MTB?
I used first aid during clinicals along with MTB. I found that MTB is direct and tells you what you must know [the basics]. First aid is more of a narrative, however the book is quite old and they are coming out with the new edition this fall.

I'm almost done with MTB... noticed quite a bit missing from it. Many diseases don't even show up or are poorly explained. I think it's best used with FA.

I'm almost done with MTB... noticed quite a bit missing from it. Many diseases don't even show up or are poorly explained. I think it's best used with FA.
What topics are missing? I asked another person about MTB 3 and they said there are not that many more topics extra in MTB 3 to make it worth buying for Step 2CK?

I think it's best to use MTB 3 for non-internal medicine subjects, such as obgyn, peds, surgery...there is more detail and more diseases

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, the MTBs don't cover nearly everything. But they're collectively a decent introduction to 2CK material if you have no background. Just be prepared to require QBanks and UpToDate to bolster your performance though.

Yeah, the MTBs don't cover nearly everything. But they're collectively a decent introduction to 2CK material if you have no background. Just be prepared to require QBanks and UpToDate to bolster your performance though.

Phloston in your opinion after doing Uworld 2x is MTB worth reading at least once? I've only done Uworld and a little reluctant about using MTB based on some of the comments going around. Aiming for > 250.

Phloston in your opinion after doing Uworld 2x is MTB worth reading at least once? I've only done Uworld and a little reluctant about using MTB based on some of the comments going around. Aiming for > 250.

I wouldn't even recommend doing UWorld twice. Once is fine. MTB after UWorld probably isn't a good idea because UWorld is already the best source of information, second only to UpToDate.

Been reading this, its just not very good IMO. Lot of stuff is barely explained, and much of it is shamefully outdated. I've still got a ways until Step2CK, but I hope there is better stuff out there than this.

I'm not even sure Fischer wrote most of this. I've noticed multiple errors in it so far. They've avoided explaining how a test works because "this is never the right answer." Bull, the USMLE asks about the science behind some of these tests.
Agreed... I know this is a review text and they need to be brief, but I feel like much of this book's explanations are TOO brief.

Twice so far I've seen it say that "Osteomyelitis, most commonly from Salmonella" about sickle cell patients. I've watched his lecture videos and he obviously didn't have as much to do with this book as they say.
I'm guessing this is in reference to that UWorld question which says even in sickle cell patients, s. aureas is the most common pathogen in osteomyelitis, but actually UWorld is probably incorrect - at least according to UpToDate, salmonella is more common in osteomyelitis in sickle cell patients.

Last edited:
I think some sections from MTB 3 are pretty decent to be honest one that I really enjoyed reading was the Emergency medicine one. Now I finally have some understanding of the ACLS stuff.

Is MTB worth using instead or in addition to step up/UW during medicine clerkship?

I used MTB with Uworld for the IM shelf and scored in the upper 80s. I think they compliment each other well for the IM shelf but even more for the actual step 2 CK. You'll be killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

Can anyone plz mention what exactly is the difference btw MTB IM and MTB2 ck. im asking aboit the int med section only. Which one should I follow?