MTB for step 2ck

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjl1717

Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I read Master the Boards for step 2ck twice...What would be the best review book to augment it.. Im thinking of MTB for step 3..Especially for OB/Gyn, Peds and Surgery..

I have a older version of First Aid for step 2ck where I will only use the tables and figures..
In addition I have Step up to medicine..

Any thoughts on this??

(Seriously, Im not trying to create a medical review book library)

Members don't see this ad.

If I read Master the Boards for step 2ck twice...What would be the best review book to augment it.. Im thinking of MTB for step 3..Especially for OB/Gyn, Peds and Surgery..

I have a older version of First Aid for step 2ck where I will only use the tables and figures..
In addition I have Step up to medicine..

Any thoughts on this??

(Seriously, Im not trying to create a medical review book library)

Per my usual

First Aid Step 2 or Step Up Step 2

and

Uworld

Gets you a 230. Average. This has now worked for 15 students that I've tutored. Average to below average medical students at a US allopathic school getting average scores on the Step 2. The way you make this better is by adding something. People have also suggested master the boards by Conrad Fischer. If you are going to use Kaplan, I suggest just using Kaplan's Step 2 materials.

By "add something" I mean add Usmle Secrets or the other book you didnt do in the "or" (if you did FA, also do SU; if you did SU, also do FA). If you have time and opportunity I strongly recommend Kaplan Step 2 online or live lectures. It takes about 6-8 weeks, but is there for augmentation.

When I say "augmentation" what I mean is this. First Aid, Step Up, Secrets, etc. give you the content you are almost guarenteed to see on the exam. It is the content that is worth learning all the time. What they all leave out is the peripheral content. To push above a 240 you have to learn 10 things you wont use for every 1 you will. That's alot of effort. You have to know all the "core" material found in the review books, then a ****ton of more details. Since the questions are random, and all material is fair game, you have to know far more than you will need to get a higher score. The way you get that is with a program designed to give you those details.

I personally got a 258 (246 step 1) doing Uworld, First Aid, and Kaplan's Lecture series. I am not a good multiple choice test taker (I fall for traps and distractors like no one's business) but I consider myself a pretty solid success. Totally worth the effort of the Kaplan Course. I am was an allopathic AMG.

Figure out how much time you are realistically going to spend.
Then choose your resources.

I felt UW was so high yield, I'd go through all the questions twice.
Not just skimming through explanations, but really learning all the details.
This takes a lot of time.

That along with any decent review book will give you nice results.

If you still have more time, add whatever books you like.
Some people like a lot of text, others like takes, others like q/a format.

I liked Secrets.