Mucho nervioso!! Going to a pharmacy school Open House

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmesancheese

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello hello!

I will be attending an upcoming open house event at a pharmacy school and I want to get myself out there and meet the pharmacy dean and admissions officers...

I don't know what to say beyond "hi my name is so-and-so...." and..um..yeah.

I'm so clueless right now. I want to be able to carry on a professional conversation to show the dean or admissions dean my enthusiasm as a prospective student.

What is the best way to approach? What do I say...without looking like a push-over? Anyone been in the same situation?

Thanks
Yours Truly,
Perplexed :p

Members don't see this ad.

the best advice anyone can give you is to research the school beforehand and find out key ideas about the school, enough to have an intelligent conversation with someone. ask intelligent questions like "what percentage passes the NAPLEX?" or "what percentage of students attend residency?"

for the most part for an open house, interview, etc. they are trying to sell you the idea of going there so they will do most of the talking. nod your head, agree, raise questions to keep the conversation going and you'll be ok. if this is a school you really want to go to, express your interest genuinely and you'll do fine

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, the school I will be visiting is brand new. The school isn't on the PharmCAS school directory list also.

Besides an "intelligent conversation" which is always a given, what else would you suggest when it comes to self-introduction? For example, when approaching an admissions officer, what should be said after "Hello, my name is so and so..."? Maybe, "...I'm excited to have applied..."? This is where my conundrum lies...

I wish I could do some background research on the school but since it's fresh-new *sigh*:]

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that if you have a real interested in the school, their presentations will really raise some genuine questions. It will be much easier than you think - it's more likely that you have more comments/questions that you feel comfortable asking than you stand there at a loss for words.

You are right about that. Questions will come "naturally" if I'm genuinely interested.

But what about introducing yourself after the presentation? What is said after "My name is so and so and I'm interested in your school?"

What should one say if one feels the need to leave an impression so that when application review comes around one's name stands out?