Multiple <500 MCAT scores, do I still have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clinical999

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short I graduated from a top 10 undergrad in 2019, went back to school to finish my prerequisites while working a clinical job at a large academic center. Have taken the MCAT 4x and scored below 500 each time (491,491,496,493). My practice test averages were above 510 before each attempt and I had months between each retake, I think I just have really bad test anxiety. I applied last year and had one II but got rejected. I am reapplying and have 4000 hours of paid clinical experience. Wondering If I have a chance to get in somewhere if I retook and possibly scored above a 510? Please advise me on what to do. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you URM? whats your state of residence?

IF you retook and scored above a 510? You have no reason to believe you'd score that high. You sat for the test 4x already and scored sub 500. After 4 attempts, assuming you're using AAMC material, they may not be that good of a predictor anymore because if you reviewed your FLs properly, you could remember some questions here and there even after a couple months of not taking them without realizing it. I'd imagine that there's some content deficit that needs to be addressed on your end.

You only have like 2 more MCAT attempts left forever iirc, you need to change your study habits, scoring sub 500 means there's significant content you haven't mastered yet. Gotta change up whatever you've been doing these past 4 attempts. But lets say your FLs were above 510 and good predictors of your MCAT readiness, tests don't stop after the MCAT. You'll have test, after test throughout medical school, if test anxiety is really causing you to perform this poorly you need to address that, learn strategies to ease your anxiety so that your test scores mirror the hard work you've put in.

I'm not an adcom but realistically speaking I think it's a very slim chance for you to get into M.D. Assuming you can break 500, I think you'd be able to get into D.O with strong ECs

Side Note: Some schools average out MCAT scores. With your previous 4 attempts, assuming you DID achieve a 510 that's still only an average MCAT score of 496.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You definitely need to retake the MCAT. If you score 500 you could receive interviews at some DO schools. What are your cGPA and sGPA ?

Members don't see this ad :)
You should get on with it and consider other fields. No disparaging your talents but that seems to be one hurdle that is blocking you. As noted before, essentially test anxiety and medicine are incompatible. There are huge stake tests all the time.

Reactions: 2 users