Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Multiple acceptance Pharmacy

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by denisd, Dec 8, 2008.

1. denisd

Pre-Pharmacy
    Can you accept more than one school. I recently received an acceptance from a school, not my first choice. I won't hear until late January from my first choice school. If you take an acceptance and then receive another acceptance later can you turn the first one down and take the other school acceptance. What I am wondering is once you accept an offer can the other schools find out that you have accepted another school. Can you get penalized for doing this. I know I won't get my money back, but I want to make sure nothing else would happen.

2. PrepharmKID

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I might be wrong here, but I think you would be fine putting money down on the first school and waiting to hear about the second school. Otherwise no one would ever turn down acceptances. This after all is how more spots open up later in the admissions process.

Edit: Congratulations on your acceptance by the way

3. PharmersMarket

PharmersMarket Accepted Pharmacy Student
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
  4. evilolive

evilolive Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Yup. I almost held my spot at 3 different locations, but you lose the deposit.

5. denisd

Pre-Pharmacy
    Would the school be able to find out that you accepted at another school. I thought if they knew you accepted another offer that they wouldn't make you an offer then.

6. medicalCPA

medicalCPA Actually, it's medicalCPA, PhD now
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    No. Being accepted at a school and accepting your spot at that school are two different things. It is my understanding that if the school participates in PharmCAS, they may be able to see (at around March next year or so) whether you've been accepted or not. They won't know which school it is that accepted you, just that you've been accepted somewhere.

7. denisd

Pre-Pharmacy
    So if you accept the offer to a school the other schools could see that you have been accepted at other school around march. So if you make your final decision before that it is ok. This whole process is stressful. It just doesn't seem fair that you need to make a decision before you know every place you are accepted at.

8. calisoca

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student

Tell that to the applicants anxiously waiting on the waitlists and they will throw you to the wolves.

9. PrepharmKID

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Agreed. It would make it lots faster if there were a deadline that you had to make your decision or something. I know those that got accepted to multiple schools have the higher stats but that ultimately is why so many people pulled off the waiting list last minute. Kinda blows.