multiple acceptances...how do you choose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Personally, I think Location is a dumb reason to pick a medical school.

Human beings are adaptable creatures, and can thrive most anywhere. The only time I could see it being a factor is because of a fiance or spouse and maybe if you are really close to your family.

So for me...COst, cost, cost, cost

Sure human beings are adaptable and can thrive so that they can continue living, but that doesnt mean you are going to be happy in that specific location. If you are trying to decide between two schools that are pretty similar across the board, and one is in a more desirable location based on where YOU would like to live....then why not pick that one? I think everyone takes into consideration location in one way or another, whether they think they are doing so or not. Its one of the easiest ways (after seeing if you are competetive stat wise) to start eliminating schools from the list of 150 or so US med schools.

Members don't see this ad.

am I the only one that thinks that the average STEP scores at a school matters?

I mean... Come on. The matter a TON! I know that the scores will ultimately reflect how well you dedicate yourself, but I think that surrounding yourself with the highest caliber peers you can is always best. You will be able to learn more from "smarter" people which will likely elevate your "Game" to the next level.

For instance if you want to learn to pick up chicks. I would rather be surrounded by people with a highe success rate than people who have an average or below average success rate. Your game will elevate and reflect the game of your peers.

BOOM! What
Ummm, you do know that the schools with higher STEP scores usually accept people who are good testtakers and as such will generally do better on the STEPs... Plus, it is the previous years that they give you, so it has no bearing on how you will do... so yes, you are the only one that cares...

Sure human beings are adaptable and can thrive so that they can continue living, but that doesnt mean you are going to be happy in that specific location. If you are trying to decide between two schools that are pretty similar across the board, and one is in a more desirable location based on where YOU would like to live....then why not pick that one? I think everyone takes into consideration location in one way or another, whether they think they are doing so or not. Its one of the easiest ways (after seeing if you are competetive stat wise) to start eliminating schools from the list of 150 or so US med schools.
Sure location could be a deciding factor if the schools are fairly similar across the board for everything else, but I think, atleast for me..if I were to get into say a school in Cali (more desirable location) vs a school in minnesota (less desirable location), but the school in MN was cheaper...I would definitely pick the MN school.

Members don't see this ad :)
am I the only one that thinks that the average STEP scores at a school matters?

I mean... Come on. The matter a TON! I know that the scores will ultimately reflect how well you dedicate yourself, but I think that surrounding yourself with the highest caliber peers you can is always best. You will be able to learn more from "smarter" people which will likely elevate your "Game" to the next level.

For instance if you want to learn to pick up chicks. I would rather be surrounded by people with a highe success rate than people who have an average or below average success rate. Your game will elevate and reflect the game of your peers.

BOOM! What

:confused::confused::confused:

omg my brain hurts.

Yeah, I feel like my performance on standardized tests has been unrelated to where I've gotten my education. I did decently on the MCAT because I put in the work (outside of class). I don't know that my education had a whole lot to do with it. But that's just me.

So, Step 1 scores aren't going to be a terribly big thing for me.

Sure location could be a deciding factor if the schools are fairly similar across the board for everything else, but I think, atleast for me..if I were to get into say a school in Cali (more desirable location) vs a school in minnesota (less desirable location), but the school in MN was cheaper...I would definitely pick the MN school.

Yea, i agree, if there was a big difference in cost of school, and i could see myself happy at either school, i'd definitely go to the cheaper one in the less desirable location.

Hmm...well, I applied to schools largely based on location, so I think I'd be happy wherever.

You know the school comparison spreadsheet that was posted somewhere on SDN? Is there a way to adjust the relative value of each point of comparison? For me, location isn't a big deal. I'd be happy anywhere. Cost matters. Curriculum matters a lot. Good gym facilities are a nice bonus, but non-essential. Is there anyway I can change the spreadsheet to reflect this?

:confused:

Anyone know what thread I can find that under?

assuming that costs are the same or not such a big difference, the location still makes up for it.

what if you are interested in rural medicine or serving urban areas? those two things can be accomplished better if you chose to go to a school in a either parts of the country respectively. if i wanted to see the craziest stuff on earth, id def pick the bigger city hospital and school... but if i was not interested in that, and prefer a calmer lifestyle, id go to the midwest.

#1 - it doesn't matter if a school's avg step 1 is a 235 if you're the one that scores a 200. No, having a higher avg does NOT make it more likely that YOU will do well. Step 1 scores do not come via osmosis.

#2 - Location matters. The different regions of the country are... different. If I have one more 50 y/o dude come in with chest pain telling me that they eat fried chicken and macaroni and cheese every night I'm going to murder someone. Seriously. I hate the south.

I get the impression that the step scores are extremely individually-based, and so it would be unreasonable to base a decision with that as a central factor. Also - the best schools attract the best students and it would make sense that the best studnts would do well on the step..so it's hard to say if the school had any effect at all.

That being said - I think its important to look at step scores if there is some kind of unexpected dichotomy in the 'level' of the school and the step averages. ie. a highly competitive school has a score significantly lower than that of its peers (then the curriculum may be to blame..).

#1 - it doesn't matter if a school's avg step 1 is a 235 if you're the one that scores a 200. No, having a higher avg does NOT make it more likely that YOU will do well. Step 1 scores do not come via osmosis.

#2 - Location matters. The different regions of the country are... different. If I have one more 50 y/o dude come in with chest pain telling me that they eat fried chicken and macaroni and cheese every night I'm going to murder someone. Seriously. I hate the south.

But the thing is that by surrounding yourself with higher caliber students will benefit you. For example you could do just as well on the MCAT going to an ivy league or a state school for undergrad. But by surrounding youself with people who are similarly driven and have something to contribute to your education and push you to do your best in every class...you will probably do better on the MCAT.

I know the schools all have pretty much the same type of schedule and have the same classes. But I really think there will be better lectures and opportunities at Hopkins then there will be at Albany Medical College...come on guys. Yeah STEP scores are on your own but right now we know jack **** and the school that we go to will be responsible for providing us with a medical education. THERE ARE REASONS PEOPLE WANT TO GO TO CERTAIN SCHOOLS more than others. God I feel like this whole thread is basically saying
"ohh I just want to go to the cheap/warm location, I dont really care about the schools reputation at all or how well they prepare their students for exams." THAT IS BULL!

Last edited:
But the thing is that by surrounding yourself with higher caliber students will benefit you. For example you could do just as well on the MCAT going to an ivy league or a state school for undergrad. But by surrounding youself with people who are similarly driven and have something to contribute to your education and push you to do your best in every class...you will probably do better on the MCAT.

95% of people in medical school are driven and intelligent, doesn't matter if they go to a top 10 or a state school.

not really. if you want to do good you are going to be good. you have to be mature enough to motivate yourself at this point. Plus, there will be people that ace the step in all of the schools and people will bomb it in all the schools as well. As everyone has said, at the end of the day it comes down to YOU and the kind of atmosphere you will do best in. "Motivated" people go all over the place. Just look at MCAT scores. I have a friend from Stanford who is crazy smart and didn't break a 30 while some of my friends from a state school got a 33-35.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know the schools all have pretty much the same type of schedule and have the same classes. But I really think there will be better lectures at Hopkins than at Albany Medical College...come on guys.

This is totally not true. Do you know who the best path lecturer ever is? Dr. Edward Goljian. Do you know where he teaches? At Oklahoma State.

There are likely bigger names at top institutions, but that does not have anything to do with you or your education. They are not necessarily going to give you any lectures. In fact, the majority of medical school lecturers only give a few lectures anyway. Maybe you can get a LOR from some big name, but you'd be just as likely to get that letter if you did an away rotation at that institution.

Haha mmmm I love fried chicken and mac and cheese...but I promise that I take care of myself so don't hate me:D But seriously, the weight of location in school selection varies greatly depending on the individual. I completely understand if you want to be in a certain region for any number of reasons, but for me, as well as a number of my friends, grad school is a great time to explore the country if at all possible! Its only four years, and like others have mentioned, realistically, we're not going to have a ton of free time. Maybe I'm being neurotic or pessimistic, but if the school has a quiet library, we're golden. That being said, I'd kill for even a single acceptance this cycle! Congrats to all with a choice!!!!

i swear to god it is like it is april fools day. Do I really have to explain to you that the world operates on bell curves. The people getting into A medical school are in the top 5% (or so) of all people in terms of intelligence. That 5 % will then be broken down into another bell curve. I doubt many people on the far right end of that second bell curve would be going to schools in Oklahoma or Kansas. I just would like to put myself in an environment of people who are the furthest right that I could get on that second bell curve.

If that does not make sense...I guess we will have to agree to disagree. (Although I have looked at a bunch of your mdapps and your reasoning on where you are applying to schools seems to be that you want to go to the best school possible.)...I'll bet everyone tells me how much they like North Carolina, St. Louis and michigan....Pssshhtt Right...

i swear to god it is like it is april fools day. Do I really have to explain to you that the world operates on bell curves. The people getting into A medical school are in the top 5% (or so) of all people in terms of intelligence. That 5 % will then be broken down into another bell curve. I doubt many people on the far right end of that second bell curve would be going to schools in Oklahoma or Kansas. I just would like to put myself in an environment of people who are the furthest right that I could get on that second bell curve.

If that does not make sense...I guess we will have to agree to disagree. (Although I have looked at a bunch of your mdapps and your reasoning on where you are applying to schools seems to be that you want to go to the best school possible.)...I'll bet everyone tells me how much they like North Carolina, St. Louis and michigan....Pssshhtt Right...

Breathe now... *pats sankondbest on the back* its okay.... Now, step away from the bridge...and for God's sake, don't jump!

Breathe now... *pats sankondbest on the back* its okay.... Now, step away from the bridge...and for God's sake, don't jump!

:laugh: my god I was worked up. I still am...I just want to draw diagrams and charts so I can better convey my point. It is hard when you cannot spell, write or even type to save your life.

Most people don't choose best school possible just b/c they want to be surrounded by intelligent people...

BTW, as a third year medical student at a top 10 med school, I just wanted to let you know that your bell curve example was charming, but I already kind of understand bell curves, being that I'm clearly one of the most intelligent people in the world, since I DO go to one of those top schools.... maybe you should hang out with me more, since I'm so smart. :laugh:

Most people don't choose best school possible just b/c they want to be surrounded by intelligent people...

BTW, as a third year medical student at a top 10 med school, I just wanted to let you know that your bell curve example was charming, but I already kind of understand bell curves, being that I'm clearly one of the most intelligent people in the world, since I DO go to one of those top schools.... maybe you should hang out with me more, since I'm so smart. :laugh:

:laugh:That was funny. I almost wet my pants... which would put me at the far left end of the bladder control bell curve.

Take your acceptances post them on the wall and throw darts at that wall blind folded. Just pick a school you'll be happy living at, your smart enough to get into med school I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Take your acceptances post them on the wall and throw darts at that wall blind folded. Just pick a school you'll be happy living at, your smart enough to get into med school I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Lol I seriously do have my acceptances posted on the wall! My dream is to have sex with a girl while she is reading my acceptance letters out loud. Maybe the one she starts reading first will be the one I go to.

What is a word for a conceited, self centered person?

Lol I seriously do have my acceptances posted on the wall! My dream is to have sex with a girl while she is reading my acceptance letters out loud.

No save that for match letter when you match into derm or plastics. I did frame my first acceptance.

Here is another factor to take into consideration: quality of the interns and residents that you will be working/living/eating/learning with for two years.

I agree with previous posters that you will find high quality fellow students in any medical school. But housestaff is a different issue and I would be interested to know what present third and fourth year students think.

At some of the large teaching hospitals where you will do much of your clinical work in third and fourth year, (depending upon which medical school you choose) you may find, especially in specialties such as internal medicine, that a large percentage of the housestaff is composed of graduates of foreign medical schools. Primary care fields are having trouble filling their residency spots and housestaff with a choice often don't want to train at big public hospitals where the amount of scut work detracts from time spent learning medicine. The housestaff that you work with have an inordinate influence on your experience and your education and you should look, therefore, at the quality of the housestaff that the main teaching hospitals attract. This is not to say that FMGs and housestaff with fewer choices of where to match may not be fabulous teachers, but it something to consider when making your choice of where to go to medical school.

And, in my opinion, this is much more important than the scores on standardized tests. I agree, that score is also related to one's test taking skills, the effort put in to study, and a little bit of luck.

Here is another factor to take into consideration: quality of the interns and residents that you will be working/living/eating/learning with for two years.

I agree with previous posters that you will find high quality fellow students in any medical school. But housestaff is a different issue and I would be interested to know what present third and fourth year students think.

At some of the large teaching hospitals where you will do much of your clinical work in third and fourth year, (depending upon which medical school you choose) you may find, especially in specialties such as internal medicine, that a large percentage of the housestaff is composed of graduates of foreign medical schools. Primary care fields are having trouble filling their residency spots and housestaff with a choice often don't want to train at big public hospitals where the amount of scut work detracts from time spent learning medicine. The housestaff that you work with have an inordinate influence on your experience and your education and you should look, therefore, at the quality of the housestaff that the main teaching hospitals attract. This is not to say that FMGs and housestaff with fewer choices of where to match may not be fabulous teachers, but it something to consider when making your choice of where to go to medical school.

And, in my opinion, this is much more important than the scores on standardized tests. I agree, that score is also related to one's test taking skills, the effort put in to study, and a little bit of luck.

Interesting. How does one find out about that kind of information? Thank you for your helpful post, docandmom2.

Interesting. How does one find out about that kind of information? Thank you for your helpful post, docandmom2.

Very informative indeed. Pianola, some department's provide a list of their residents (along with medical school attended) on their websites. But this is department specific and hospital specific. Cursorily, you can look up whether the hospital is a public hospital, an affiliated private hospital, or a university-owned academic hospital. Wikipedia is good for this, as are individual hospital websites.

On that note, I never really knew that much about hospital affiliations and such until this year when we started interviewing around. I always just though that a medical school and its teaching hospital were kinda one and the same institution. In Florida, for example, Shands is actually an affiliated private hospital of UF (its operated by Shands HealthCare system), and UM has its own university hospital (recently purchased, used to be private) and is also affiliated with Jackson, a public county hospital.

The answer to those questions, and a lot of other questions about 3rd and 4th years (and the extent to which they matter for a given institution) are usually best answered by 3rd and 4th year medical students, who are obviously somewhat less available on interview day... making it difficult. But if you do come across some, you can usually simply ask them things like:

-Do you find that your residents spend a lot of time teaching you?
-How are you treated by residents/attendings?
-Are there any rotations that you had a bad experience on?
-What's the worst part about doing clinical rotations that you think is specific to this institution?

Thanks for your responses leewwjc and diosa. I might try to find some current students to ask before I make any final decisions. Too bad I'm done with interviews for this cycle (at least, I think I am).

sankondbest,
I totally disagree with you. I went to one of those hoity toity "top 5" medical schools and I don't think the lectures or other teaching were necessarily any better than at some other lesser known medical school. I don't think there is much difference, if any, between teaching at your average state U medical school and one of the Ivy med schools/Hopkins and/or another top 10 US News World Report one. There are more famous researchers and probably more famous clinicians, but those people aren't necessarily doing much of the teaching and even if they are they may suck at teaching or just not be interested. If you wish to do bench research, such as doing a summer basic research project between 1st/2nd years, or to do an MD/PhD, then I think going to one of those type schools can be helpful. They have more resources and more scientists who could mentor you. For clinical medicine I don't think you'll get any better education, necessarily. You need to consider each school individually when you interview there, and consider all factors, including cost.

I think the high average step scores are higher on average @the so-called "top" medical schools largely because they are selecting for people with high MCAT scores on the front end. These people are great standardized test takers and also tend to study really hard and are smart. However, at any medical school (or at least the top 85% or so of US med schools) your average med student is going to have been a very good student in undergrad, is highly motivated, and will probably do pretty well on the USMLE. There are probably a few stragglers at your average med school (pulling down the USMLE average) who are not there for the most part @the top 5-ish med schools, so they will have higher USMLE averages. I don't think this necessarily reflects any disparity in teaching, and perhaps not even that a different amount or qualify of learning is going on...it shows that great test takers remain great test takers.