Multiple Acceptances Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BoKnows

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With some outstanding luck, I've been accepted to two schools. I went ahead and confirmed the acceptance at the first school and paid the deposit. I just received the second acceptance and have yet to confirm it and pay the deposit. I am still unsure of which school I want to attend, but I am leaning towards the first school. If I go ahead and confirm the second acceptance and pay the deposit, will that have any effect on my first acceptance? In other words, does confirming multiple acceptances and paying the deposits mess things up?

Members don't see this ad.

Yep as mentioned above, May 15th is the deadline where you can only be holding one acceptance (but you can stay on unlimited waitlists).

Also check to see if the schools have second look days. You can go back and visit each school and meet your potential classmates. Might help when it comes to picking which to attend. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input! On a slightly related note, does holding multiple acceptances give you some leverage at schools when they are determining your financial aid/scholorship/grant package?

Thanks for the input! On a slightly related note, does holding multiple acceptances give you some leverage at schools when they are determining your financial aid/scholorship/grant package?

I have heard that it does and the schools can wrestle for you. However, I've also heard that schools don't get to know of ur other acceptances until a certain date, which I'm not sure about... can someone clear this up..

thanks

I have heard that it does and the schools can wrestle for you. However, I've also heard that schools don't get to know of ur other acceptances until a certain date, which I'm not sure about... can someone clear this up..

thanks

Schools don't know about other acceptances until the May 15th deadline. Not sure how the leverage thing works though.

Traffic rules state that they can't inquire, but you can certainly TELL them.

So unless you actually write the school of your preference and tell them that you have been accepted at a cheaper school in hopes of getting them to sweeten your financial aid package, holding multiple acceptances does nothing to improve your chances of getting a better financial aid package? Long sentence, my bad..

Schools don't know about other acceptances until the May 15th deadline. Not sure how the leverage thing works though.

I'm pretty sure that there is actually an earlier date (that someone has confirmed with official literature) that is closer to March. I believe that around this date schools you are accepted at can see your other acceptances.

I'm pretty sure that there is actually an earlier date (that someone has confirmed with official literature) that is closer to March. I believe that around this date schools you are accepted at can see your other acceptances.

Hm, interesting. I haven't heard of this. Can anyone confirm?

in Canada acceptances dont come out until may 15th...at whhich point u may get weightlisted.. can i hold an american acceptance well into the summer like july? or do u have to ACCEPt by may 15th??

Members don't see this ad :)
On March 15th all schools that have accepted you can see all other schools that have accepted you. They cannot see rejections or waitlists. Some schools use this to inform their scholarship awards. This info was provided by a Director of Admissions at a school where I interviewed.

It is my understanding that on or before the 15th of February, any school has access to how many acceptances you are holding ( not sure if it includes exact schools). In fact, this was mentioned by the admissions director of one of the schools I interviewd at.

On March 15th all schools that have accepted you can see all other schools that have accepted you. They cannot see rejections or waitlists. Some schools use this to inform their scholarship awards. This info was provided by a Director of Admissions at a school where I interviewed.

this. at least, as far as SDN knows. can't remember if we've ever gotten confirmation from LizzyM on this, but i think it's a widely accepted fact on this board.

It is my understanding that on or before the 15th of February, any school has access to how many acceptances you are holding ( not sure if it includes exact schools). In fact, this was mentioned by the admissions director of one of the schools I interviewd at.

this doesn't even make sense. only on or before feb 15th? :bullcrap:

in Canada acceptances dont come out until may 15th...at whhich point u may get weightlisted.. can i hold an american acceptance well into the summer like july? or do u have to ACCEPt by may 15th??

You have to accept an acceptance (teehee) within two weeks of them sending you notification. That's when you pay the deposit, or just send in a slip informing that you want to 'hold' your place in the class.

My understanding is that you can only hold 1 AAMC acceptance after May 15th, but you can hold multiple waitlists. In other words, you could hold an MD and a DO acceptance after this date, but you can't hold 2 MD acceptances (provided both schools are part of the AAMC).

I've heard (i.e. "read on SDN") that after March 15th schools can see where you've been accepted. I've never heard any official verification of this though so it could just be an old wives' tale.

Do you have to just sit back and passively wait for schools to see where you've gotten in or can you call School A, tell them that you've also gotten into School B, which is cheaper, but that you prefer School A and hope they'll throw in a scholarship to sweeten the deal?

From the AMCAS 2010 Instruction Booklet, p.19:
"AAMC Policies Regarding Data Collection, Processing,and Dissemination"

The AAMC shares acceptance information across schools in order to assist medical
schools adhere to AAMC recommendations. These data are shared as follows:

a) Beginning in February of each year, a medical school that has accepted an
applicant can view the other school or schools that have accepted the applicant, if
applicable.

b) Beginning in April of each year, a medical school can view the school or schools
that have accepted an applicant, even if that applicant has not yet been accepted by
the medical school.

Yea I'm fairly certain that it is before the May15th deadline. I would approximate around March/April.

From the AMCAS 2010 Instruction Booklet, p.19:
"AAMC Policies Regarding Data Collection, Processing,and Dissemination"

The AAMC shares acceptance information across schools in order to assist medical
schools adhere to AAMC recommendations. These data are shared as follows:

a) Beginning in February of each year, a medical school that has accepted an
applicant can view the other school or schools that have accepted the applicant, if
applicable.

b) Beginning in April of each year, a medical school can view the school or schools
that have accepted an applicant, even if that applicant has not yet been accepted by
the medical school.

Ahh, thanks! :thumbup:

So the March 15th date that is thrown around here a lot is wrong? The source above makes it look like the schools either can see right now, or will be able to soon since it's already February.