Multiple acceptances/waitlist poll:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What is you status with multiple acceptances?

• I have multiple acceptances but have already withdrawn all but one.

Votes: 20 27.4%
  • I am still holding multiple acceptances...waitlistees hate me, but I give them hope.

Votes: 29 39.7%
  • I have sent a deposit to school X but will forego my deposit if I get off the waitlist at school Y.

Votes: 24 32.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rachmoninov3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, So not having any data to go on based on how many people were accepted off the waitlist at my dream school in years passed, and only going by their 'average' but without having enough data to generate a standard deviation (1 year plus their 'average' stated in the waitlist letter which would give a standard diviation of 5.0...and I'm within 4 of the 'average'!) I decided to none scientifically generate my own data and perhaps it will be useful to other waitlistees.

Three choices:

I had mutliple acceptances and I've withdrawn from all but one.
(these people have already effected my waitlist spot)
I have multiple acceptances and still need to withdraw from the others.
(these people will probably effect my waitlist spot shortly after May 15)
I have mutliple accepteances and I'm waitlisted at my top choice, so I've given a deposit, but will gladly lose that money if my top choice calls me after May 15th.
(these people are the ones responsible for hope after May is over)

Members don't see this ad.

i dont understand anything from your post, i must be a real *****

your sample is biased. for the purpose you indicate, this is a horrible poll. this poll sux!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
your sample is biased. for the purpose you indicate, this is a horrible poll. this poll sux!!!

haha agreed..... what about people who have no acceptances whatsoever.

The poll is purely supposed to be a tool to assess who hasn't withdrawn yet to gage how much movement there will be off of waitlists. Yes, sdn is a small, highly biased sample, but it's all I got to work with. If there's a flaw in the reasoning, please point it out.

It seems like lately your job has been to disparage polls (although, to your credit, most--like this one--have serious design flaws).

Are you getting a kickback from the anti-polling lobby?

The poll is purely supposed to be a tool to assess who hasn't withdrawn yet to gage how much movement there will be off of waitlists. Yes, sdn is a small, highly biased sample, but it's all I got to work with. If there's a flaw in the reasoning, please point it out.

One flaw is that some people fit into both the latter two categories (that is, some people are holding multiple acceptances, but would also give up all of them for a spot at another school at which they are waitlisted).

Also, effect is a noun. Affect is a verb. Effected is not a word.