Multiple Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

josejalapeno

I know there still some people out there still sitting on their thumb trying to decide which offer to accept(typical of some egotistical premeds). If you are holding more than one acceptance and have not decided where you are going, I suggest you get your act together. There are still lots of people in here (found out by reading some posts) that are still waiting to get in. So make up your mind, put your own interests aside and make room for the rest, Damn it!

------------------
I don't follow tha drugz, tha drugz follow me

Members don't see this ad.

though jose and i have disagreed an almost everything, i do have to agree with him as a poster, if not as a person. if you have more than one seat, make up your mind. don't tell me about how hard it is to decide, or i'll be forced to cry you a river. pick a program you like and go for it, if you can't make up your mind easily and make quick decisions and stick with them, you're patients will probably suffer down the road. start practicing your decision making skills now!

i will take my sweet time. there are simply too many important ramifications and too many individuals affected by this decision to rush it. amcas gives us until may 15. cool your britches jose and colorado

[This message has been edited by japhy (edited April 26, 2001).]

Members don't see this ad :)
Man and you gonna be a doctor? Talk about an egotistical dude. I am sure Joseph Smith would disapprove of your actions.

------------------
I don't follow tha drugz, tha drugz follow me

japhy:

my britches are cooled, i've been accepted, your decision has no impact on me whatsoever. I do understand you have a big decision, just make it. You can tell me all you want about how rough it is for you to decide -- come on, it's selfish. Do you know how many other lives you effect by holding on? Well there's the school you turn down, then the domino effect from there, which could influence and impact the waitlists and lives, yes LIVES, of many other applicants. Now, unless you argure you and your friends and loved ones are the only lives that matter -- in which case you'd be a pretty bad doc not worring about others -- then just make a decision.

japhy by the way i forgot to say congratulations on getting in. . . I really mean it I do know how hard we all worked to get here.

I say that these people with multiple acceptances are not being unreasonable or selfish. They are just playing by the rules. They are given until May 15th, and if they need that time then they should take it. Now is the time they can really check out the area of these places, find out more detail about the programs, really consider how the program fits them. Talk to professors, other students in these schools, etc.. This is a major life decision and no need to rush it. Why should they rush a decision? They obviously earned the right to have such choices. Whether they make the decision now or wait to the last min. The same number of spots will open up. They should not feel sorry for the people on the waitlist, that is the hard reality of this process. And, the real reality is that most people will not get in off the waitlist. But, there is always next year. I certainly understand it took me 3 tries. And, many waitlists.

------------------
Rob
http://views.vcu.edu/medimf/rob/greatpumpkin.shtml

Although I'm on three waitlists, I'm fortunate enough to have an acceptance, too. I also don't come from a well-off family by any means. I can sympathize with those that will hold on to more than one acceptance while waiting to get their financial aid packages! All other things being equal, I would go where I got the best aid.

hope i do agree with the financial aid waiting -- i am paying for school all myself, too. so that justifies having 2 acceptances at at time and discarding over two and i do agree with that. did u get your finantial package from UB yet? how did it look?

I just wanted to say something about the "I'm paying for medical school by myself" thing......As someone who paid for all of their undergraduate education by themself, I thought that this saying would be pretty much unique to myself in medical school too. However, I have come to realize that nearly EVERYONE pays for their own medical school. Even the most wealthy people (ex. parents are physicians) that I know are still forced to pay for their own education. Although everyone has truly loving parents, how many of them would actually pay 120,000+ for their education when the student can pay for it themselves.

So the bottom line is that almost everyone is paying for their schooling and if you do so yourself, you are not unique.

--jimmybee

jimmy i wasn't implying i'm doing it any differently, i know almost all will pay their own expenses . . . i was just saying hope had made a point i hadn't considered that made sense is all.

Hmmm...my financial aid package. Well, it sort of scares me thinking that I'll use all this money, but I got around 28K for the whole year. 10.5 was subsidized
smile.gif
, and the rest was unsubsidized
frown.gif

thanks hope! remember i have to take out more for ms1 being an out-of-stater! we'll make it back on on the back nine (golf term even though i don't play.) are you going to ub for sure or gonna get stolen away from one of the illustrious wait lists? if you do go to ub, find the only one there from colorado -- and i'll be him, or should i say he'll be I? thanks for the info.

I'm 99% sure I'm going to UB. The students there are just completely and totally my type of people, which was one of THE factors in choosing a med school. I am also sorta interested in hematology/oncology from my undergrad studies, so the connections w/ Roswell can't hurt. I've kicked around FP and peds too, but I have plenty of time to decide. I'm not really seduced by names like Hopkins (even though I liked JHU way more than I thought I would) or Harvard, so I think it'll be UB for me (besides, their match list isn't too shabby, anyway)! I have some friends from college there (one will be an MS1 with us, and one will be an MS2). They both graduated from college last spring, are completely awesome people, and I miss them terribly!!!

I think that financial aid will most definitely take into account that you will be paying out-of-state tuition next year. They seemed to anticipate all sorts of costs on my behalf (I don't spend 17K on living expenses right now).

Take care - I'll look for you at orientation!

Tara