Multiple deposits to hold seats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ifkt355

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to three schools, and I am narrowing it down to 2. I can't make a final decision at this point yet, 1. due to family reasons (depends on my spouse can find a job), 2. still waiting results from other schools. I have already put down one deposite, and the other one is due 12/15. It is so wrong for schools to ask for so much money, and not just one deposite, I think the second round of deposite is due in March.

I am wondering if it is OK/ethical to accept more than one schools at this point. When is the latest I need to make a final decision? I know for MD school is May 15, and waitlist does not count. Anyone knows the deadline for DO schools? Anyone else is putting multiple deposits?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

ifkt355 said:
I have been accepted to three schools, and I am narrowing it down to 2. I can't make a final decision at this point yet, 1. due to family reasons (depends on my spouse can find a job), 2. still waiting results from other schools. I have already put down one deposite, and the other one is due 12/15. It is so wrong for schools to ask for so much money, and not just one deposite, I think the second round of deposite is due in March.

I am wondering if it is OK/ethical to accept more than one schools at this point. When is the latest I need to make a final decision? I know for MD school is May 15, and waitlist does not count. Anyone knows the deadline for DO schools? Anyone else is putting multiple deposits?

Thanks!

You're going to be a doctor. It's not going to make a diffeence in the long run. Put down a couple of deposits if you'd like.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for replying! Anyone knows the deadline for DO schools to turn down multiple acceptances?

Early on next year? Same problem here. Have turned down 8 schools so far, need to narrow it down to 2. Loose some change ($$ :eek: )but it is worth it to have the extra time to make that big choice. Good luck! :thumbup:

The schools might tell you there's a deadline, but with that deposit you pretty much secure your seat (unless I'm severly mistaken). I believe the schools take it as an acceptance when they receive the deposit. Then it's up to you to let them know you're going elsewhere. It would be nice for a poor waitlister to receive good news before July however.

J-Smitty

The schools might tell you there's a deadline, but with that deposit you pretty much secure your seat (unless I'm severly mistaken). I believe the schools take it as an acceptance when they receive the deposit. Then it's up to you to let them know you're going elsewhere. It would be nice for a poor waitlister to receive good news before July however.

J-Smitty