multiple interviews at one school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackson123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those schools where you have to go through 2 interviews, what happens if you do well in one, but not the other? Do they give you the benefit of the doubt?

Members don't see this ad.

Doubtful. I believe that two good interviews > one good interview and one poor interview.

If there is a particularly large disparity between the two interviews, some schools will give you a third interview at the end of the day. They usually tell you about this process when you arrive. I remember RFU and Loyola did this. Basically, you stop by the admissions office when you're done with your two interviews, and they'll tell you if you need the third interview or not. I think it's a nice way to deal with some of the randomness of your interviewer and/or getting someone on a really off day.

Members don't see this ad :)
from my experience it has been 1 student and 1 faculty, so im guessing one has more weight (faculty)

If there is a particularly large disparity between the two interviews, some schools will give you a third interview at the end of the day. They usually tell you about this process when you arrive. I remember RFU and Loyola did this. Basically, you stop by the admissions office when you're done with your two interviews, and they'll tell you if you need the third interview or not. I think it's a nice way to deal with some of the randomness of your interviewer and/or getting someone on a really off day.
They get the interviewers' reports that quickly?

They get the interviewers' reports that quickly?

Yes. At Loyola, the interviewer would make the call and give you "a score" while you were walking back to the admissions office. At UIC, you had your interviews before the tour/lunch/etc., so when you got back, they confirmed no one needed a third interview.

As for the comment above about one student and one faculty, I only had two faculty interviews at RFU and Loyola, and no student interviewer at all. However, at RFU, I believe that you're usually supposed to have one with a student, but no students were available that day to interview any of the interviewees in my group.

from my experience it has been 1 student and 1 faculty, so im guessing one has more weight (faculty)

At drexel they are waited equally- that is the only school I had two interviews at

Yes. At Loyola, the interviewer would make the call and give you "a score" while you were walking back to the admissions office. At UIC, you had your interviews before the tour/lunch/etc., so when you got back, they confirmed no one needed a third interview.

As for the comment above about one student and one faculty, I only had two faculty interviews at RFU and Loyola, and no student interviewer at all. However, at RFU, I believe that you're usually supposed to have one with a student, but no students were available that day to interview any of the interviewees in my group.
Hm! That's really interesting. I suppose at most schools, you walk back to the admissions office for one thing or another so I wonder how common the practice is.

On one hand, you want the interviewer to think it over for a while but I guess this ensures that their memory doesn't fade.