Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Multiple Majors? Does major matter?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by TheGreatHunt, Mar 4, 2007.

1. TheGreatHunt

TheGreatHunt High Performance
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I searched for this topic, and I came up with some random posts that adress this, but my question is pretty simple:

Does your major matter? I'll be graduating with a double major in Biology and Chemistry. My Bio grades are nearly perfect, my Chem grades average around a 3.6-3.7(Much more difficult, many more hours of study invested). Does any of this matter? Or is it simply the end cumulative GPA that matters?

Are there acceptance rate statistics on each particular major?

If you complete the pre-reqs and become an English major and get a 4.0 is that better than getting a 3.6-3.7 in a science related field? How about psychology? I'm just wondering what the popular consensus/actual statistics show

Thanks!
    ~TheGreatHunt

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. omegaxx

omegaxx New Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It's just your overall GPA that matters. No one cares what you got them in.
    And contrary to popular belief, English major is NOT all easy marks. Sure, it may be easier to scrape that B- than science courses, but it's definitely harder to shoot for that A or A+.

4. Critical Mass

Medical Student
    No, it matters very little. Grades on pre-req's and science classes are looked at, but in general, the MCAT will override all of the above given a high GPA among similar applicants.

The MSAR gives stats on major. Schools typically try to diversify, but there is no penalty for being a science major.

5. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    No, major does not really matter, although there are some reports of NON-science majors having higher raters of admission. And no, your double major will not give you any added benefit.

Fair warning: You will find that a lot of premeds on SDN will base their responses on conjecture, speculation and often times just good old fashion bull****.

6. DoctaJay

DoctaJay bone breaker
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    As has been mentioned before. Major doesn't matter, and actually non-science majors tend to stand out more in the application process. But if you are an English major, but you have Bs and mostly Cs in your science classes, the major really won't help you. Most people just advise that you do what you love, take the prereqs, do well in those classes, and apply.