Multiple Mini Interviews (MMI)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riceman04

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Considering that many of us will soon be getting interview invites I thought it would be fitting to bring this topic up about this unique (read weird) style of interviewing cadidates.

I don't know if any of you are aware of this, but many of the Canadian schools have implemented a style of interviewing, entitled Multiple Mini Interviews. Basically, it involves a set of inteview stations (around 10 or so) and each interviewee rotates from station to station to answer the same questions. Students apparently spend approximately 10 - 15 minutes at each station.

I guess I was wondering if any of you know whether or not US pre-allo med schools are considering implementing such a style. If so, which schools?

What are your feeling about such a style!

Hey LizzyM...do you know anything about this?

Apparently it is used in several diff career sectors; I just have never heard of it before!

Members don't see this ad.

I believe U of Cincinnati uses this format already.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is that to test for consistency and attention span or something? That system seems very inefficient.

I think it works against those who may not make a big impression at the commencement of the interview. And since it is so short interviewers do not have much to go by when it comes to interviewee analysis.

This is format is suppose to test if you are able to think on your feet, how you respond to stress, if you are a good team player etc. Stations can be questions, but you can also be paired with another student and asked to complete a task (it's easy to spot if you are deep down a complete jerk in this type of situation).

Oh, I think I misunderstood what goes on. I interpreted "each interviewee rotates from station to station to answer the same questions" as each person gets the same set of questions ("Tell me about yourself" "Why medicine?" "Why here?" etc.) at every station, so he'd have to tell about himself 10 different times. I'm guessing it means that each interviewer asks only a particular set of questions so that everyone has basically the same interview? That seems fair enough.

I don't mean to steal this thread or anything but... Will speed dating help my interview skills? I'm thinking of signing up. Also, How would I list that as an extra curricular on amcas?

have you guys heard of the interview at northwestern? i heard its group interview with 3 interviewees, 3 interviewers and they ask you guys to answer problems. do other schools do similar things?

have you guys heard of the interview at northwestern? i heard its group interview with 3 interviewees, 3 interviewers and they ask you guys to answer problems. do other schools do similar things?

i think you have a group interview and a solo one. and yeah, apparently at the group one you have to do at least one group problem solving thing. if you check the interview database for northwestern you can get a feel for the q's they ask the groups.... like 'pitch me a reality TV show where the winner gets a full ride to med school' you have 15 min ...go.

that type of thing

One thing they are trying to do with the MMI's is take away interviewer bias. That way, if an interviewer doesn't like you for some reason, they are only marking you on one question. Or, if you answer a question poorly, you have the chance to start all over again at the next station. Seems much more fair to me.

The trick, you see, is to tell each interviewer station, "by the way, I like you a lot more than the other guy that interviewed me" after each interview

At McGill several people watch you at each station behind a one-way mirror. You complete various tasks from station to station, for example in one case you walk in and see a room filled with stuff. You have ten minutes to pack for a mission to China. You aren't supposed to know the tasks beforehand, so I'm guessing they change from year to year.

The idea is to remove bias since several people watch you at the same time, and each interviewee has the exact same task. Probably also to see how you think on your feet. Personally I think it sounds both entertaining and stressful. I haven't heard of any US schools doing it.

At McGill several people watch you at each station behind a one-way mirror. You complete various tasks from station to station, for example in one case you walk in and see a room filled with stuff. You have ten minutes to pack for a mission to China. You aren't supposed to know the tasks beforehand, so I'm guessing they change from year to year.

The idea is to remove bias since several people watch you at the same time, and each interviewee has the exact same task. Probably also to see how you think on your feet. Personally I think it sounds both entertaining and stressful. I haven't heard of any US schools doing it.

anyone else think this is kinda weird?

I don't mean to steal this thread or anything but... Will speed dating help my interview skills? I'm thinking of signing up. Also, How would I list that as an extra curricular on amcas?

I think blind dates help interview skills, especially when you approach ladies at parties. If you can survive that kind of pressure, you can survive interview.

At McGill several people watch you at each station behind a one-way mirror. You complete various tasks from station to station, for example in one case you walk in and see a room filled with stuff. You have ten minutes to pack for a mission to China. You aren't supposed to know the tasks beforehand, so I'm guessing they change from year to year...

that does sound kind of weird. what kind of mission? like a medical mission? or james bond mission? do you have to fieldstrip rifles blindfolded too? this McGill place sounds wild. let me have an interview with people watching behind two-way glass... too nutty :)

Wake Forest does 3 15 minute interviews, so its not as uncommon as you think.

that does sound kind of weird. what kind of mission? like a medical mission? or james bond mission? do you have to fieldstrip rifles blindfolded too? this McGill place sounds wild. let me have an interview with people watching behind two-way glass... too nutty :)

Yes, it does sound weird. I heard about this at a panel discussion - she didn't mention any more details so I'm not sure, but for fun's sake let's assume a bond mission. Don't forget to pack your tux!