Multiple rotation with same Preceptor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ruchir3

Reaction score
Coming from a IMG (carib) I had a chance to do an away rotation with a specific preceptor. He has clinic/rounds set up such that we see mostly elderly patients since I want to go into FM I did a 4 weeks Geriatrics elective with him.

Thing is I enjoyed the rotation and learned a lot from it. Now he offers the same rotation under an IM rotation name therefore I would be doing the same work but instead of 4 weeks of Geriatrics it would be another 4 weeks of IM elective rotation.

I wanted to know does having the same preceptor for 2 different rotations have any negative impact when applying for residency? Is it wise to do so?

Members don't see this ad.

It’s one fewer possible letter of recommendation, and possibly reduces your learning opportunities since you’ll be seeing more of the same. Not necessarily a bad thing but not necessarily ideal either.

I did like three with the same one and didn’t show up for a couple of months in fourth year. He specifically told us not to come in. It’s good if this is what you are doing but if u need LOR then nah

No, will not unless you get bad reviews. But as an IMG, you should be doing rotations at locations you may feasibly want to match to.