Music degree...how to overcome no math/science background

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bamtuba

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking to enter a post-bac program beginning Fall 2007 and have some questions. I graduated from a well respected music conservatory with a 3.67 GPA and have no science or math background. I would like to go to a program such as Bryn Mawr or Temple, but have no idea how competitive I would be to get into these or other post-bac programs with no math or science background.

Would it be better for me to take some classes at a local community college to prepare for a post bac program or should I think about getting a second bachelors?

Any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

bamtuba said:
I am looking to enter a post-bac program beginning Fall 2007 and have some questions. I graduated from a well respected music conservatory with a 3.67 GPA and have no science or math background. I would like to go to a program such as Bryn Mawr or Temple, but have no idea how competitive I would be to get into these or other post-bac programs with no math or science background.

Would it be better for me to take some classes at a local community college to prepare for a post bac program or should I think about getting a second bachelors?

After talking to the pre-med advisor at LSU, we came to the conclusion that starting another 4-year bachelor's was unneccessary. I thought that we are the students post-bacs are for, those who lack the science and math background. Every advisor/dean I've emailed and/or talked to say that not having the background in such courses is a-okay.

That being said, you know better than I that Bryn Mawr is very competitive, so, who knows? Anyone?

voicebox said:
After talking to the pre-med advisor at LSU, we came to the conclusion that starting another 4-year bachelor's was unneccessary. I thought that we are the students post-bacs are for, those who lack the science and math background. Every advisor/dean I've emailed and/or talked to say that not having the background in such courses is a-okay.

That being said, you know better than I that Bryn Mawr is very competitive, so, who knows? Anyone?

After reading other posts it seems that the programs are good for people with no background, but that no background and zero background can mean different things. I mean, how are you supposed to do the basic pre-requisites if you aren't ready for them? ie. some pre reqs require having a knowledge of calculus, algebra, etc., so you need those classes first, but the "one year" programs seem to begin without them. Unless I am mistaken, a lack of these "basic" math classes can hurt your pre-req understanding making the process take much longer...

I think I am going to use this last teaching year to hone up on some math skills at MCC (local community college) and get ready for those pre reqs for next fall.

Voicebox, if you check the Nontrads forum I had some good responses to a similar topic.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
bamtuba said:
After reading other posts it seems that the programs are good for people with no background, but that no background and zero background can mean different things. I mean, how are you supposed to do the basic pre-requisites if you aren't ready for them? ie. some pre reqs require having a knowledge of calculus, algebra, etc., so you need those classes first, but the "one year" programs seem to begin without them. Unless I am mistaken, a lack of these "basic" math classes can hurt your pre-req understanding making the process take much longer...

I think I am going to use this last teaching year to hone up on some math skills at MCC (local community college) and get ready for those pre reqs for next fall.

Voicebox, if you check the Nontrads forum I had some good responses to a similar topic.

thanks!

well, lets go over all the pre-reqs for med school:

Biology - requires hardly (if any) math at all
Chemistry - requires some basic algebra maybe with stoichiometry and maybe some conversions, but nothing that requires calculus by any means
Organic - can't recall any sections that required deep math skills.
Physics - most math "intensive" with respect to all the other pre-reqs, but the most you'll need is remembering what sin, cos, tan are. so maybe a LITTLE trig. you won't need to take calculus-based physics for med school/mcats, so dont go that route unless your REALLY into that.

some med schools require calculus, so you may want to take that while doing post bac.

overall, i dont think it's gonna be a problem if you dont have any science/math backgrounds. after all, these post-baccs are designed for those non-trad students who change their minds about their career or haven't finished their pre-reqs as an undergrad.

bamtuba,

You are exactly what programs like Bryn Mawr are looking for. I just graduated from the Goucher program, and we had several music majors in my class. You only need basic algebra and just a little bit of geometry and trig for pre-med coursework, so don't go math crazy. Also, I don't know about Bryn Mawr, but at Goucher a two week math review at the start of the program is included in the price of tuition. If you're really phobic about the math, then by all means take an algebra or pre-calc course at a cc, but don't get hung up on this issue.

Also, Bryn Mawr is very competitive, Temple not so much. But you have a solid gpa, so I think you have a good shot at both.

bamtuba said:

Hey, I applied to Bryn Mawr for this summer session. I did not get in. There application date is early so check that out and it is rolling admission.

I believe that your standardized test scores are important -1300 is acceptable. My SAT scores, from almost ten years ago, were not good. My GPA was very good( 3.82) in Democracy and cultural pluralism (political philosopy) at The New School in NYC.

Always apply. Admissions processes are weird and you never know until you try. Take pre-calc because the logic of learning is good practice for the sciences and you will use the advanced algebra and trig ( so I have heard)and you could take a history of science class if you wanted to... However you majored in music so math and science may proove to be a tune that you already know.
Hope this was helpful
and best of luck to you